Wonky Veg

Is it just me or is this new craze for wonky veg just an excuse for supermarkets to pay less to the suppliers?

Comments

• B_M
    B_M Posts: 714 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    The wonky veg is sold cheaper, so I'd imagine the suppliers are receiving less.

But, the suppliers can't be receiving much for veg anyway, not the staple stuff anyway as veg is relatively cheap.
    The supermarkets will be screwing most, if not all suppliers on everything they can.

Wonky veg is a bit of a gimmick, but I've bought some onions. Fine, only smaller and the same for cooking. In fact I've also bought carrots for soup-making.
    Wonky veg with a yellow sticker is an even bigger saving!

Welcome to MSE by the way.
    No payments from financial products from cash back sites? Put in a complaint direct and if they don't resolve your issue, head straight to the financial ombudsman - it costs the company £550 in referral fees, win or lose.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,887 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    rburren wrote: »
    Is it just me or is this new craze for wonky veg just an excuse for supermarkets to pay less to the suppliers?

Wonky veg wasn't bought by the supermarkets as they thought people wouldn't buy it because it wasn't perfect but after Jamie Oliver did the program about it the supermarkets started to buy them so actually the suppliers are getting more money which is great.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Wonky Veg was just the normal veg when I was a kid.

It's just supermarkets upped the visual quality so they could charge more.

The great British public just walked into that and lapped it up, the mugs that we are.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,887 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    robin58 wrote: »
    Wonky Veg was just the normal veg when I was a kid.

It's just supermarkets upped the visual quality so they could charge more.

The great British public just walked into that and lapped it up, the mugs that we are.

I agree and they seem to last longer so goodness knows what they put on them nowadays, carrots used to last a couple of days and now they last weeks in the fridge if bought from a supermarket and not a greengrocers.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Teahfc
    Teahfc Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 February 2018 at 11:32PM
    Wonky veg historically was packed and sent to wholesale markets to be sold to street traders and alike, some was sent for processing to be used in stir frys and soups, the frozen industry would be a user for mixed casserole packs and mixed veg packs, the balance would be either stock feed or sent for fertiliser. The volume the supermarkets are taking is a pittance to what is actually produced. Its a fashion gesture to say look we are trying. I am more concerned about the packaging used for the class 1 product, that is more of a issue.
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."

''Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.''
  • Winifred
    Winifred Posts: 139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Morrisons wonky grapes are very good value.
  • morrisons even do wonky avacados-bargain
    Nice to save.
  • sarah1972 wrote: »
    Wonky veg wasn't bought by the supermarkets as they thought people wouldn't buy it because it wasn't perfect but after Jamie Oliver did the program about it the supermarkets started to buy them so actually the suppliers are getting more money which is great.

wasn't it hugh FW? I ask cos I think I saw the programme and as I loathe jo I don't think i'd've watched it
  • purpleybat wrote: »
    wasn't it hugh FW? I ask cos I think I saw the programme and as I loathe jo I don't think i'd've watched it
    Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s Channel 4 War on Waste was the first I think.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure