Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

What extra taxes would you volunteer to pay?

Options
Our resident leftists are always full of great ideas for new taxes to be applied to other people but not to themselves. So let's explore this a bit. What new taxes are you prepared to pay that you don't have to pay now? Propose one.

Rules: it has to be one you actually stand a chance of paying. Saying you'd pay a tax on unicorns or Ferraris or your £10 million house is not volunteering to pay anything at all if you have none of these things.

Mine is that I would volunteer to pay a square footage tax on my house as long as 1/ it was applied nationallt at the same rate and 2/ it replaced SDLT. There are 27 million households in the UK and SDLT raises £14 billion so that's roughly £500 per household. I'd pay £500 a year to avoid paying £100k to move sideways.

So what would you pay, or can you only think of taxes you wouldn't have to pay ?

Comments

• Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would hapilly pay more incme tax. That could be either a lowering of tax bands or a higher rate within the current bands.

I believe in paying your dues and refused the opportunity to set up a limited company whilst working as a contractor recently so I think that it’s fair to say that I stand by my words.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • westernpromise
    Options
    Ballard wrote: »
    I would hapilly pay more incme tax.

What's stopping you? You can overpay any time you like. In fact, paying only what you owe is tax avoidance, and is very bad, apparently.
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What's stopping you? You can overpay any time you like. In fact, paying only what you owe is tax avoidance, and is very bad, apparently.

What is stopping me is that my paying a few quid extra wouldn’t make the slightest difference whereas everyone paying a few quid extra would make a difference. It’s simple really.

You lost me with the tax avoidence part I’m afraid.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • Jack_Johnson_the_acorn
    Options
    Our resident leftists are always full of great ideas for new taxes to be applied to other people but not to themselves. So let's explore this a bit. What new taxes are you prepared to pay that you don't have to pay now? Propose one.

Rules: it has to be one you actually stand a chance of paying. Saying you'd pay a tax on unicorns or Ferraris or your £10 million house is not volunteering to pay anything at all if you have none of these things.

Mine is that I would volunteer to pay a square footage tax on my house as long as 1/ it was applied nationallt at the same rate and 2/ it replaced SDLT. There are 27 million households in the UK and SDLT raises £14 billion so that's roughly £500 per household. I'd pay £500 a year to avoid paying £100k to move sideways.

So what would you pay, or can you only think of taxes you wouldn't have to pay ?

If everyone paid as per the set % then we wouldn't need this thread. Those capable of avoiding the set rate cause "lefties" to complain about tax intake.

I'd happily pay more tax and will vote for anyone who implements a national tax hike. But paying in an extra 40 quid a month by myself doesn't seem like a good idea when I have a family to support on and AVG wage.
  • Jack_Johnson_the_acorn
    Options
    Ballard wrote: »
    What is stopping me is that my paying a few quid extra wouldn’t make the slightest difference whereas everyone paying a few quid extra would make a difference. It’s simple really.

You lost me with the tax avoidence part I’m afraid.

This is obvious to anyone who isn't trolling.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,029 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would change stamp duty to cgt on ppr (properly indexed and eferrable until death)

I would combine income tax and ni even though I would have to pay more on retirement.
    I think....
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As someone who donates things to a charity I would not want to pay more tax because I wouldn't know if it was actually going to help the people who I donate time and money to.
  • enjoyyourshoes
    Options
    I believe in less interference by Gov into our lives, so would not want to increase nay tax.

I happily donate on monthly basis to Charities I believe in (most of us will be cancelling Oxfam as from today!)

You have to look at the effectiveness and efficiencies our public service are being run and consider if we are getting real value for money?
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • markharding557
    Options
    None, after paying my £110 council tax installment today, I think I've paid enough!
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A levy on all fast food and drink takeaways. Combat obesity and rubbish.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure