Previous Employer destroyed training certificates?

Options
Hello,

I left my old employer in October last year, when I left fortunately I had my main and more important training certificates in physical card form with me, but there were about 5 certificates that my employer kept in their records as they were paper certificates. When I left I was promised they would be posted out to me or emailed, I have received none.., when I contacted them today as I need 2 of them ASAP, I was told that they had destroyed them "in order to make room for new employees".

Where do I stand on this? Do I have any case against them in order to obtain a replica copy?

Comments

• Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Were they in house certificates or accredited by a recognised organisation? You could apply for copies if its the latter. I'm not sure there is much you can do other than maybe write to your old employer, tell them they have destroyed property that was yours and you are unhappy because its now going to cost you to get replacements. Then invoice them!
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Did your employer pay for the courses and exams?
  • ssparks2003
    Options
    Did you pay for the training and certification or did the company pay for it?
  • StevenB12
    StevenB12 Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    All of them were recognised training providers, 3 of them were done in house on office computers but it was still through an accredited training firm.

Company paid for some , I paid for the rest and ironically the ones I need I paid for (out of wages) , but it was training that had to be provided so it was a must at the time
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you contacted the training firm to ask them to provide copies?
  • StevenB12
    StevenB12 Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've contacted two of them but both of them have said more or less that since it was my old company that applied for the training that they need the permission off them in order to send out a replica
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    StevenB12 wrote: »
    I've contacted two of them but both of them have said more or less that since it was my old company that applied for the training that they need the permission off them in order to send out a replica

Well that's what you need then, assume they don't exist at ex-company but training company have them but can't release them till ex-company say it's ok...contact ex-company and ask them to provide this permission.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    and ask nicely! They aren't obliged to help you
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If the company have paid for the training then they are within their rights to refuse to allow you you take the certification with you when you leave. I am in that boat, I have certification that the company will keep when I leave.

Quite a common stance. They pay why should another company profit from it.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The certificate generally belongs to the candidate not the employer.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport