Bear Market/Crashes: how do Retirees Deal with it?

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,804 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am also looking to move to a yearly payment into my pension. It doesn!!!8217;t seem that either platform I have (Aviva and Youinvest) make this easy to do online though. I guess it!!!8217;s a cheque
  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,800 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Prism wrote: »
    I am also looking to move to a yearly payment into my pension. It doesnt seem that either platform I have (Aviva and Youinvest) make this easy to do online though. I guess its a cheque

Youinvest allow online payments into the SIPP using a debit card.
    Its not easy to navigate their site but it can be found, select
    My account Cash Single payment.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,664 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 2 March 2018 at 9:42PM
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Back in the day I was but as a company director, I tend to to wait to see how much money is surplus in the company before deciding how much to pay in. Much the same as many other company directors.

And I thought you would be a straight £40ker. Even if there is uncertainty surely there is a safe level of contribution you could make on a monthly basis and then a final closing contribution at the end of the year?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    March is a very busy month for single premium pension contributions from directors.

Now excuse me whilst I go and pick my funds from the adverts in the Telegraph

For us mere mortals. We smash open our china piggy banks and see how much loose change we've managed to accumulate from not buying a coffee at Costa in the past year. Popping into the newly opened Metro Bank branch where they conveniently provide free coin counters. Then deciding which Vanguard fund to select and deposit the funds into. Far more mundane.
  • Prism
    Options
    noh wrote: »
    Youinvest allow online payments into the SIPP using a debit card.
    Its not easy to navigate their site but it can be found, select
    My account Cash Single payment.

I need to pay from my company direct though which doesn’t add the 20% tax benefit. I think the only option to do that is by cheque
  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,800 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 March 2018 at 10:36PM
    Options
    I need to pay from my company direct though which doesn!!!8217;t add the 20% tax benefit. I think the only option to do that is by cheque

Youre right the only option for an employers contribution is a cheque.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I need to pay from my company direct though which doesn’t add the 20% tax benefit. I think the only option to do that is by cheque

Can you not process it through the payroll. Thereby obtaining relief at source.
  • Prism
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Can you not process it through the payroll. Thereby obtaining relief at source.

Oh yes that’s no problem. It’s just the slight annoyance that I have to dig the company cheque book out to make the payment into the SIPP rather than do an online transfer
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,461 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Pension contributions are treated gross. It is tax relief not a tax bonus.

With personal contributions, you pay the net contribution based on the gross amount. Tax relief is added. With employer contributions, you still pay based on the gross amount except the company gets the 20% relief through a reduction in corporation tax. In the process, you also get the money out of the company avoiding dividend tax.

You shouldnt involve payroll as a cheque/bank transfer is fine.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    With personal contributions, you pay the net contribution based on the gross amount. Tax relief is added. With employer contributions, you still pay based on the gross amount except the company gets the 20% relief through a reduction in corporation tax. In the process, you also get the money out of the company avoiding dividend tax.

Only 19% relief surely?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport