IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Reasonably unfair?

Options
Nicksy1
Nicksy1 Posts: 35 Forumite
To all those experienced people out there, personally we think the ticketing of my vehicle was unfair, but would a 'reasonable'person think it is unfair...?

We have no qualms with the parking company Total Parking Solutions, the attendant did their job as instructed, we have a problem with the fairness of the ticket as instructed by the landowner.

The driver works on an NHS health campus with 2 trusts and a couple of other health companies, in the middle of countryside. The main Trust owns most of the land and charges both staff and patients for parking. The Trust for which the driver works rents some land from them for parking and also charges staff to pay for the car park lease and for repairs/upkeep.

So about 9 months ago the onsite nursery closed down. It had a couple of permit staff parking bays and a demarcated on-road drop off area. The premises is vacant and actually starting to become dilapidated (the fences used to keep the playground secure are disappearing one-by-one). Since the word got out about the closure non-nursery staff have been parking there every day without recourse.

Recently the staff car parks for the smaller (renting) Trust are over full with people parking dangerously within car parks and outside of them on double yellows etc. One day the driver came to work and one car park was showing full with obvious spaces inside and the car park without a barrier limit had cars outside of bays. As the driver passed the vacant nursery there were a few empty parking spaces, so they parked there.

When the driver finished work there was a windscreen ticket for failure to display permit and being parked for at least an hour.

The ticket cost is >3 months the cost of the staff permit. There are no rightful permit holders, apparently for the 2 weeks before this ticket the staff that usually park there were warned to stop parking else face fine but they didn't email the whole trust to say stop parking there so the driver didn't know that the signs were being enforced otherwise would have gone to see security or tried a patient pay and display. Noone has been put out by the driver parking there.

What is the concensus, should we ignore, pay or fight. We would be happy to offer the patient pay and display amount!

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    the "back story" is irrelevant , the driver parked without permission

most private parking tickets are "unfair" which is why the MP`s debated it in the houses of parliament last friday

the NEWBIES sticky thread tells you what to do about this, and the choices are "pay or fight" - your choice

the PPC have issued an invoice and could take it to court within 6 years

so it is not about what the reasonable people here think, its about you going through the motions if you decide not to pay it

please read and follow the information in the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread near the top of this forum
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Computersaysno
    Options
    The truth is most of your 'questions' and comments are irrelevant....it's not about 'reasonable' or otherwise....it's all about [and I paraphrase here...]scum trying to get your money.

Some PPCs are fair and above board, some are pure scum.....

Personally I never have and never will pay the PPC scum a penny.

In fact if a car park is using PPC scum I won't even pay the £1 or £2 parking charge...they don't deserve my money for using the pondlife that they choose to do business with....I suspect I'm not the only one that does this.
  • Nicksy1
    Nicksy1 Posts: 35 Forumite
    edited 27 March 2018 at 6:34PM
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I posted this because reading the MSE front page it said about if a reasonable person could think it unfair it's worth fighting, else pay up. Our judgement is biased that's why we asked for other opinions.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    edited 5 February 2018 at 4:37PM
    Options
    the MSE advice is incorrect and out of date

by all means ask the uninformed persons that wrote their "front end" articles, but only last week M Lewis was on tv spouting rubbish about the private parking charge issues on his tv programme

but as you asked us (the great unwashed that deal with these issues on a daily basis on the public forum and not the MSE magazine pages) you get the honest and unabridged versions of the true reality of this disgusting business

watch the MP,s talk about it last friday on that catchup link

do some research into the INDIGO versus NHS staff at the University Hospital in Cardiff last year which went to court

your issue pales into insignificance compared to rhose poor and duped staff in wales (I dont mean that unkindly, its important to you but not as bad as their issues)

fight or pay , we say fight , but know the score because as said earlier its about extracting the maximum amount of money from your wallet or purse, nothing to do with parking per se

its modern day highway robbery, so I am surprised it wasnt D!ck! Turpin Parking Co LTD that issued the ticket
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Options
    Oh !!!!!! ...... :o

please take NO notice of the MSE post ! it is plain wrong in so many ways :eek:

forum members have pleaded with MSE to remove / correct it with out success ..... :o

you need to read the newbies thread for all the correct up to date information

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

have a quick read of the appropriate sections ... and come back if you need more help

good luck

Ralph:cool:
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,060 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Nicksy1 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, I posted this because reading the MSE front page it said about if a reasonable person could think it unfair it's worth fighting, else pay up. My judgement is biased that's why I asked for other opinions.

MSE's article is awful, gives bad advice, dangerous to wealth, and they are wrong.

MPs have this despicable industry sussed better than MSE does:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5787731

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

HTH
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • ixworth
    ixworth Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    In my opinion PPCs have lost all right to consider fairness or not as, even when presented with obviously unfair tickets, they will typically reject any appeal, as will their buddies at POPLA.

Read the newbies advice thread, and follow the advice there to attack this ticket.

Don't admit who was driving, appeal to the PPC and POPLA on technical grounds rather than fairness, ignore debt collectors, defend any court case rigorously and watch the cowards run away (usually).
  • cgh01
    cgh01 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Was this NTD issued at CCC hospital trust?
    When did the driver receive the screen ticket?
    If the registered keeper has not appealed to TPS already, then an appeal should be raised on their web page https://www.totalparking.co.uk/online-payments/appeal

Use the pre-written template appeal as listed in the NEWBIES thread( blue text under the heading ""Template appeal for BPA or IPC members - copy this wording into the online appeal box::"")

Send the appeal as is: making sure you include the registered keepers name and address.

Good luck.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,061 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are you familiar with the NHS's own guidelines on parking?
    If not then Google NHS parking principles
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure