Kitchen counter tops

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
6 replies 1.5K views
Zola.Zola. Forumite
1.7K Posts
Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
I am looking to upgrade our kitchen a little bit, changing the counter tops and the sink.

Apart from the likes of Ikea, B&Q etc, are there any local shops you could recommend where this could be done to a nice finish, at a reasonable decent price? Not wanting to spend a lot on it as we may do an extension in a few years time.

We are in the Belfast area.
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist" 
"The purpose of the margin of safety is to render the forecast unnecessary" 
"The borrower is slave to the lender."
"Money is not to buy stuff. Money is to buy freedom."
"Every bit of savings is like taking a point in the future that would have been owned by someone else and giving it back to yourself"
"Energy flows where attention goes"

Replies

• Stone or laminate tops?
  • Tom99Tom99 Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I have done the same. I bought the parts myself then employed a local fitter.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The sink and tap came from Ebay at a lot less than the prices B&Q charge and there are plenty of online suppliers of worktops at reasonable prices.[/FONT]
  • BigAl94BigAl94 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Try here in Dargan Industrial Estate http://www.jhchardware.com/dcp/h/aboutUs
  • x12yhpx12yhp Forumite
    801 Posts
    The top thing to remember is that b&q and Homebase is typically low quality and over priced.
    Always overestimating...
  • joefizzjoefizz Forumite
    676 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    BigAl94 wrote: »
    Try here in Dargan Industrial Estate http://www.jhchardware.com/dcp/h/aboutUs

Another vote for JHC.
    Did the same myself a couple of years ago and also bought a couple of replacement kitchen cupboard carcasses from them.
    Went with one of their cheaper worktop ranges and far better quality than both the alternatives mentioned.
    Did go with the black composite sink from b+q though (franke). The JHC ones were very good quality just didnt want to spend that sort of dough for a sink (my previous franke was over 25 years old).
    They had a reasonable delivery charge to greater belfast as well (IIRC 25 quid - but dont quote me on it). I had visions of cutting the 3m lengths to size in their car park to fit them into the van!
  • Zola.Zola. Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, I would definitely go and checkout JHC hardware - although they aren't open at the weekend and don't seem to have any late nights!

I am open minded about the surface, I wouldn't want to spend more than about 250 on the worktop though. I set a budget of about £500 to do this, sink fitted and all. Our kitchen isn't large so hopefully doable.
    "Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist" 
    "The purpose of the margin of safety is to render the forecast unnecessary" 
    "The borrower is slave to the lender."
    "Money is not to buy stuff. Money is to buy freedom."
    "Every bit of savings is like taking a point in the future that would have been owned by someone else and giving it back to yourself"
    "Energy flows where attention goes"
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals