Leaving new job?

Options
Hey guys,

I'll try to keep it as short and simple as possible..

About 5 months ago I started at this construction firm as a general builder, my hours are good and usually the standard 8-5, my pay is decent and the conditions are generally good. How ever, this is a very,very small company, a long with the owner there are only two of us working which as you can imagine if we were both off sick, the work stops. Any way, I was told today that the site I currently work on for him, we don't need to be back for a few weeks and as such he isn't sure I will have work all of next week, which will then be unpaid time off. Now this is just a blip as I see it..but this is also now the second time this has happened in the past 2 months or so, so it can be a bit of a worry not knowing if you're going to be getting a full pay or not. In general my boss is a great person to work for and as I said it's a very easy going environment etc and the work is good..when it is there.

One of my old work colleagues contacted me today with a job opportunity, but it is not in my local area. I will have my own van and tools etc, but will be working from Newcastle, covering up to Scotland, Liverpool, Manchester and London as a service engineer (my previous line of work). This will obviously include some nights out/stay overs. The pay will be the same or a bit better, but I won't be using my own transport so I save on fuel, and the work is more or less a stable and guaranteed thing from week to week.

I think my main sticking point is I feel guilty if I take it, after having only been here for a short while, and in general I am trying to weigh up the pro's and cons for both. Any general advice, if it was you?

Thank you for reading

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Take the other job, it looks like its more constant work. What made you leave your last job for a job as a general builder ?
  • StevenB12
    Options
    Basically my last job was as a service engineer in the drainage/water sector, but it was a very poorly run company, often putting in 70 hours a week to come out with a very poor wage at the end of the month.

It was getting to the point where I would start work at 6am, finish at 5pm, be at home 2 hours, then I would have to go back out for another 5/6 hours, then be back at work for a normal day shift about 5 hours later. Was never at home and I was starting to take work home with me which I didn't want. I started looking elsewhere and took something that I still had experience in.

Thing is though I was told I would have a van etc and would be doing more restoration work etc.., I'm still using my own car daily carrying work tools and so far I've been sub contracted out to different sites, so you're working for somebody else basically. And as I said, although the work is there, it's waiting for that work to come through.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure