Anchor dairy 'squirty' cream - best before?

Options
Apologies if this seems a very obscure post, but I needed this information and somebody else out there might too? I was confused by how long this product lasts and considered it rather expensive if it was a matter of days, like normal cream. Even UHT milk, once opened, lasts no longer than regular milk. I thought that the labelling on the packet wasn't clear, but perhaps that is just me?:confused:

Basically, it will last until the date on the bottom of the can, regardless of when you first use it. You need to rinse the nozzle each time though. I checked this with Anchor.

My children love it and I feel better that it lasts a couple of months rather than the days I thought it would.:j

Comments

• spankymonkey_2
    Options
    it doesnt even last a few days in my house! mmmmm jelly,fruit and squirty cream what heaven :p
    spanky xx

DFW weight watchers 28lbs to lose
    lost so far 11.5 lbs
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    Yes and if you inhale as you squirt it into your mouth with the can upright, you might find yourself laughing your socks off.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,128 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wig wrote:
    Yes and if you inhale as you squirt it into your mouth with the can upright, you might find yourself laughing your socks off.
    It's even funnier if it 'sticks' on first use and your son squirts it in his eye. :rotfl:
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • margaret_3
    margaret_3 Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote:
    It's even funnier if it 'sticks' on first use and your son squirts it in his eye. :rotfl:

You're wicked, Savvy_Sue. :rotfl:
    By the way, I think you have Menières!
    :p
    Margaret
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    Truth is the can is never opened. The cream is propelled out by the gas inside and so air never enters the can. It should last for ages. But as the others have said, the kids eat it all within a few days
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hhmmmm....... it's "fresh" cream right? yeah ;)

Why not just buy whipping cream & whip it? You'll get a wholesome, natural product at a fraction of the cost. Though, granted, you won't have the kind of "fun" described here ;)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I remember how much our German Sheperd would be REALLY obedient & would sit next to the fridge, every time he saw a can of this stuff around waiting for it to be squirted right down his throat!!!!

Kids n dogs n creeeeeeeeeeeme!!! Sounds like fun!!!

VB
  • jockettuk
    jockettuk Posts: 5,809 Forumite
    Options
    hhmmmm....... it's "fresh" cream right? yeah ;)

Why not just buy whipping cream & whip it? You'll get a wholesome, natural product at a fraction of the cost. Though, granted, you won't have the kind of "fun" described here ;)

hee hee not that kind of fun i was thinking abt lol
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
  • bigjohn
    bigjohn Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Anchor cream produced like that is over-manufactured crap!

I just happen to work for the "producer" who has owns the "right" to that label.

It's a con, with a higher profit margin. Check the actual contents (cream), I can't remember what else you get in the spray cans, but if you compare the actual cream content, and compare it with how much you pay, on a small pot of "normal" cream (single or whipping - price varies on fat content).

All you need is a mechanical (winding handle type) whisk and you get the same, if not more, whipped cream, that's lasting longer, because you have added the expanding agent i.e. air.

The spray can crap, well it's "accelerated" with whatever propellant they use these days, which once you've sprayed the cream starts to evaporate, so it ends up as a "white splodge" in no time at all (even worse if you put it on hot food).

Personally, I still have my local milkman (who is "the opposition"), delivering my milk etc (my place of work processes millions of litres of milk and cream per year).

The guarantee is that it's only been pasturised.

If you look at the stuff (whole milk) in the supermarket, it's "pasturised, standardised, homogenised" whole milk (IMO over manufactured).

It gets worse.

If you go to the doctors, and get told that you need to eat a low fat diet, low fat, is usually 4% or less (unless you have very very specific health requirements).

Normal whole milk is less than 4%, so if you rush out and start buying semi-skimmed, you're a mug. All you're getting is more of the water content of milk. Who gets to enjoy the profits of removing part of the butterfat content, the producers do - NOT YOU.

The suggestion that skimmed or semi-skimmed has a higher calcium content is also questionable (it looks to me, like a lot of dubious statistical number juggling). Apart from the difference in fat content (whole =>4%, semi=2% approx and skim=1% approx), the only other difference is that semi and skimmed milk will go off quicker, because the preservative (the fat) has been partially removed.

To return to the spray on cream, if it's been kept refridgerated (1 to 4 degrees C for dairy products), it should last (without input, or should that be output, of the kids) for a good while. Afterall I suspect that it contains some sort of preservatives (sugar? it is sweet, usually), and that it's not in contact with air, but the propellant in the tin, usually means that it takes much longer to "go off".
    Open source software is cheap, or free. It's also pretty much compatible with anything you've probably paid for - It helps me save money :D
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    BigJohn...It gets even WORSE than that!!

Believe it or not, it started off, floating around INSIDE a cow!!

Unpleasent or WHAT!!

VB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family