Unaware that I’ve not been put through the books

Options
I started my current employment in September 17 and I’ve only just been made aware in December 17 that I have not been put on the PAYE scheme as my employers accountant has told him I don’t meet the tax threshold so I don’t need to be on it.

When I first started employment I had provided a P45 and I had also completed a P46 for my current employer. I then started asking for payslips and my employer advised me time and time again that he’ll chase them up off the accountant. I have still not received payslips (however, I know know the reason)

In November 17, my employer advised he payed to many bills and couldn’t give me my full wage (this was paid in two installments) obviously furious bills then were no paid and I had incurred debt. I had a sick day that I do not eat paid for, however, in this instance I was paid as he couldn’t pay my wages on time.

Again payday December 17 came around and I was again told he couldn’t afford to pay me. I had sent an email advising what he owes me for the month. ( he decided to Close iver Christmas and did not advise I wouldn’t get paid...precious to this I asked how many holidays I could use as I only wanted the 27th December off. Via this email I had the response advising I was not on the books.

I had a meeting yesterday to see if I would now get paid on Friday as stated when I first started, he advised yes but couldn’t provide answers on any tax, national insurance or payslip queries as he needs to speak to his accountant.

He confirmed he cannot afford me and wants me to reduce my hours.

I currently work 32.5 hours (£6.25 per hour for first 3 months and now £7 per hour ) to 15 hours at £7 an hour...I cannot afford to live on my current salary let alone less hours. He has asked this as his mother works for free for him.

I have been looking for other jobs and secured a place with a BANK and the job is mine dependable on credit checks and criminal record checks. Would this effect my new employment and how do I go about resolving this as I cannot afford a HUGE tax bill and cannot afford to lose this new job over a situation I had no idea about untill a few weeks ago.

Should I give my employer untill the 30th Jan to provide me with payslips backdated, national insurance and tax contributions owed/paid to date as he will also have to give me a p45. And if this isn’t provided should I ring citizens advice or the Tax office?

Please help, I am so worried for my new job role and current financial situation.

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Firstly, well done on the new job, it's obviously the best way out of this situation.
    The credit and criminal record checks will only show what is on record. If you've had no police involvement that should be clear. As for your credit record, it depends how squeaky clean they want you to be? Have you told them you have some missed payments?
  • The missed payments wouldn’t effect my credit check as family had to sub me so it didn’t effect anything like that. So I’m in debt with family now.
  • Edit;

Thank you, I’m a very happy with the new job.

They didn’t really ask questions about payments tbh. So I wasn’t sure what they will be looking for. I’m worried as it’s not the best situation to be in.
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    1. ask for the accoutants name and email address, and contact them direct, asking for your pay slips.
    2. Start looking for another job
    3. If he does not pay you on time ask again why? just because his mother works free, it does not mean you do.
    4. Report him to HMRC, you have nothing to loose. he sounds a real dodgy person

Good luck
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, there are no missed payments on file to worry about. Make sure you keep every record you can of your employment there, emails, records or receipts into bank accounts etc.

When you start your new job you can complete a P46 new starter form, if he's not provided a P45. I suggest then is the time to query his accounting practices and pay rates with HMRC. His Mother might be OK working for free, but he has to pay you at least National Minimum Wage.

Good luck with the new job and putting this behind you.
  • Thank you for your advice.

I’m asking for those details.
    I have got a new job with a bank just worried this situation will effect all my checks.
    He said I will get paid full this month.
    I wouldn’t say he’s dodgy but the business isn’t doing well so I feel bad out right reporting him. I’m just stuck in a very hard situation tbh
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How old are you?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts