work wanting payment back

Options
really could do with some extra advise ...

I have had a letter from my work asking for all my pay back since august..

long story short.. i went on maternity with my daughter in april 2017 when i was ment to go back to work i had to take 3 month unpaid and then went on sick as my daughter had to have open heart surgery meaning i needed to be there to care for her.... in this time i then fell pregnant again with my son ..

i rang work many time too keep them updated with everything that was happening..
they told me i was still entited to my maternity benefit even though iwas changing my hours to part time also that i was still entited to all my holiday and i could use them before my maternity started on the 4 September ...

then did not tell me anything different all this time until just before Christmas i got a phone call saying they may have over paided me and then on the 3 January 2018 i got the letter to say i was never entitled to any pay i recived since august 2017 ????

please help !!!

Comments

• FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    * then went on sick as my daughter had to have open heart surgery meaning i needed to be there to care for her...*
    Did you get paid from your employer during that period? Because your daughter being ill is different to you being ill and unless it lead to you being ill too (and being signed off by your GP), wouldn't qualify you for sick pay.

If the above is the reason for the over-payment, then unfortunately, you will have to repay it even though it was their mistake to have continued to pay you in the first place. However, since it was their error, they should agree to you repaying over a period of time.
  • daisy23169
    Options
    Can you clarify the timeline as it's a bit confusing.

So mat leave started April 2017. When were you due back? What dates were the period of sickness absence? Were you actually signed off?

Have you actually gone back to work? When did you go part time? Your next mat leave is starting in Sept 18?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure