Going back to old job

Options
I recently left my old employer almost 2.5 years ago, looking to progress my career, increase in wages, new challenge etc.

Since leaving, i am now 2 years into employment with my second job (first job after leaving didnt pan out as advertised and left within a 6 months.)

I am settled in my current job, a few gripes about the company (longer hours, longer commute, some micro managing, strange working methods, numerous irrelevant meetings, lots of international travel - most which i knew of) but there may be an opportunity to return to my original employer.

It will be less hours in the work week, less commuting and less international travel with potentially a wage increase - improving the work life balance.

Concerns are of the future of my old company, with the demands of the services offered to the customer reducing, and not so great company accounts.

Is it worth the risk to return to a company that is struggling for a better work life balance, when Im at a very comfortable firm and doing quite well?

Comments

• ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Only you can answer how important work life balance is to you.

However, you say you left because you wanted to progress your career - which you did, but are finding out that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. You're now thinking about taking your foot off the gas a little and want to return. How do you reckon that looks from their perspective? Is there really an opportunity to return?

Personally, I'd be wary about going back - people rarely leave just for money, and I'd be concerned that whatever else caused me to leave in the first place would re-appear again. I'd be surprised if they didn't have concerns too - you walked once, who's to say you won't do again? Or (as above), you're looking for an easy option and won't be too engaged with the job.

I'd be more worried about questions like that, rather than the financial state of the company.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure