Paid Mileage - Cost To The Employer

Options
Hello,

My employer has historically paid me for the mileage I do for work purposes at the normal 45p rate.

The company is being taken over and it sounds as if the new owners may not pay me this in future.

Can anyone please tell if paying mileage to an employee actually costs the employer anything or is it just taken off the tax they would normally owe?

I tried looking online, but couldn't find a definitive answer.

Thank you!

Comments

• Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I hope it costs the employer. If not taxpayers are subsidising your employer.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello,

My employer has historically paid me for the mileage I do for work purposes at the normal 45p rate.

The company is being taken over and it sounds as if the new owners may not pay me this in future.

Can anyone please tell if paying mileage to an employee actually costs the employer anything or is it just taken off the tax they would normally owe?

I tried looking online, but couldn't find a definitive answer.

Thank you!
    It does cost them something yes, but obviously they also have expenses which are deductible.

Ultimately you can still claim tax relief at the same rate.
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    It costs them. Think of it as any other tax deductible expense. They can pay you 45p per mile and claim all of that as a deductible expense for tax.

Employers typically pay you less than 45p (you also wont pay tax on this) and you can claim an allowance from HMRC against the balance up to 45p per mile.
  • Comms69
    Options
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    I hope it costs the employer. If not taxpayers are subsidising your employer.
    Do you want to try again, or is that your final answer?
  • oysterpearl
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. The company have always paid me the full 45p per mile and I've not been taxed separately on it.
  • Comms69
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. The company have always paid me the full 45p per mile and I've not been taxed separately on it.
    Because that's the HMRC rate....................
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Ultimately you can still claim tax relief at the same rate.

Probably not intentional but that's possibly somewhat misleading.

Let's say the op travels 5000 miles

Current employer pays 45p/mile so op receives £2250

New employer pays, say, 30p/mile so op receives £1500 from the employer and can claim tax relief on £750 (5000 x 45p = £2250 less £1500 reimbursed by employer = £750)
    If op is a basic rate payer this saves them £150 in tax so they have received a total of £1650, someway short of the current £2250
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Yes it costs them something. It costs them the amount that they pay you. There is no magic tax deductible. Whatever they pay you comes straight off the bottom line as an expense.

If the company makes a profit and are liable for corporation tax then they will have made less profit because they paid your expenses. You could therefore argue that 19% of your expenses are offset against tax.
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    Yes, it does cost them whatever they pay you, on the face of it, but in reality it is a cost to retain the employee. No employee is going to do 1000 miles a week (for example) without their costs being reimbursed. The level of reimbursement is part of your overall salary/reimbursement package.

Speaking of which, let's rewind for a minute. 'The company is being taken over and it sounds as if the new owners may not pay me this in future.' Is there a union involved? Has anyone thought about TUPE? The whole point of TUPE is that if a company is taken over, terms and conditions are protected. (Yes, I know it's not as simple as this, but it's a good starting point!)
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • oysterpearl
    Options
    Yes, it does cost them whatever they pay you, on the face of it, but in reality it is a cost to retain the employee. No employee is going to do 1000 miles a week (for example) without their costs being reimbursed. The level of reimbursement is part of your overall salary/reimbursement package.

Speaking of which, let's rewind for a minute. 'The company is being taken over and it sounds as if the new owners may not pay me this in future.' Is there a union involved? Has anyone thought about TUPE? The whole point of TUPE is that if a company is taken over, terms and conditions are protected. (Yes, I know it's not as simple as this, but it's a good starting point!)

Thank you, I think I understand now :)

In regards to TUPE, yes our contracts are being transferred in this manner. However, my previous mileage agreement was just verbal between myself and my manager (although there are obviously records of me being paid expenses). The new owners haven't definitely said they won't be paying them in the future, but it was along the lines of "we'll have to see", so I just wanted to educate myself so I had a good argument if they say no.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure