Redundancy and recruitment agencies, anyone recommend a professional agency?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
2 replies 1.2K views
FUNKYDADDIOFUNKYDADDIO Forumite
537 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Hi, having been a HR manager for the past 14 years I am now in a 45 day consultation which could go to redundancy. I would like to register with some agencies (Belfast area) to widen my job search. Has anyone used an agency which was designed for professionals and would you recommend them? I have heard that Grafton are good even for getting contracts with them with a view to permanent contracts..Many thanks..

Replies

• motorguymotorguy Forumite
    21.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, having been a HR manager for the past 14 years I am now in a 45 day consultation which could go to redundancy. I would like to register with some agencies (Belfast area) to widen my job search. Has anyone used an agency which was designed for professionals and would you recommend them? I have heard that Grafton are good even for getting contracts with them with a view to permanent contracts..Many thanks..

Ok, just to manage your expectations - recruitment agencies are paid by the end employer therefore everything they do is employer centric. Therefore they wont be looking for a job role for you, they'll be looking for candidates for a job. Thus expect them to behave like your new BFF if they think they can lever you in to a job role, then ignore you entirely when they dont.

Register with the agencies if you like, however personally i'd be using the likes of nijobs.com finding job roles where you meet at least 80% of the pre-requisites and submit a tailored CV.
  • Mrs_Mac_1Mrs_Mac_1 Forumite
    82 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Recruitment agencies are a minefield. I have had poor experiences with many of them, knowing I have the qualifications/experience for jobs as advertised, yet I never hear anything from them. A few of them like to boast that they are the "preferred recruiter" for health trusts and other public bodies. In reality, I suspect it is a matter of who you know rather than what you know. If I could recommend the best of the bunch in my own experience - Platinum Recruitment in Downpatrick. They accepted my certificates, qualifications, id etc. by emailed scans when I was registering, whilst other agencies insisted I travelled to register, e.g. ballymena and belfast. Also, I was paid on time and had no problems with Platinum. Having said this, it was my one and only experience of working through a recruitment agency. Best wishes.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Virgin Media & O2 launch Volt

Aims to boost mobile data & broadband speeds

MSE News

Cheap pet insurance

Top comparisons & hot deals

MSE Guides