Train cheaper for further??

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
3 replies 1.5K views
Kav173Kav173 Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
Hi, I'm looking to go from barrow > Lancaster by train which costs around 13.10, however if I select barrow in Furness > Preston instead it is 10.50. This is the stop after Lancaster on the same train

Is it allowed to be able to use the barrow to Preston ticket and get off at Lancaster instead?

Thank you

Kavan

Replies

• p00hsticksp00hsticks Forumite
    8.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kav173 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking to go from barrow > Lancaster by train which costs around 13.10, however if I select barrow in Furness > Preston instead it is 10.50. This is the stop after Lancaster on the same train

Is it allowed to be able to use the barrow to Preston ticket and get off at Lancaster instead?

Thank you

Kavan

It'll depend on what type of ticket it is - if it is an Advance ticket then I don't think the T &C's usually allow you to 'stop short'.

I can't see the fares you quote - are you looking at singles or returns ?
  • Voyager2002Voyager2002 Forumite
    14.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you

Kavan

Probably not, but since there is no barrier at Lancaster you are unlikely to face problems. If you are talking about return tickets, you would need to have some way to get yourself to Preston before beginning your journey back.
  • yorkie2yorkie2 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭

Thank you

Kavan
    It is true that an Advance fare from Barrow to Preston is cheaper than a flexible walk-up fare from Barrow to Lancaster.

In practice you are likely get away with finishing short at Lancaster, but its not permitted ( see https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe=active&q=Legality+of+finishing+short+on+Advance+ticket for more information on that)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides