Inheritance & Bankruptcy...?

Options
Hi All,

Just need some advice here as iv looked through the forum and can't find any advice on inheritance and bankruptcy.
My mum and dad are quite wealthy and have made a will leaving there estate to my sister and I but I'm sure if they BOTH die then the will comes into force and my sister and I get half of their estate. My concern is that the OR would then use my half to pay off my debts in Bankruptcy. I have done a little research on this along with my dad and this would be the case.
Is there any way my half could be left to my wife or my kids to avoid this?

Advice much appreciated.

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,053 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Your parents can leave their wealth to whoever they like.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Your parents can leave their wealth to whoever they like.

Unless the OP is in Scotland? I may be wrong but I think there you are not allowed to disinherit your children.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    Unless the OP is in Scotland? I may be wrong but I think there you are not allowed to disinherit your children.

It’s only movable assets that applies to, if all your wealth is tied up in property then you can leave it to who you like.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    Pepper25 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just need some advice here as iv looked through the forum and can't find any advice on inheritance and bankruptcy.
    My mum and dad are quite wealthy and have made a will leaving there estate to my sister and I but I'm sure if they BOTH die then the will comes into force and my sister and I get half of their estate. My concern is that the OR would then use my half to pay off my debts in Bankruptcy. I have done a little research on this along with my dad and this would be the case.

Advice much appreciated.

What percentage of your inheritance would be used up to pay your creditors? How old are your children?
  • Mouse007
    Mouse007 Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi All,

Absolutely yes, your parents simply change their wills to that effect and can change them back once you are discharged. Mine did exactly that.

BBC WatchDog “if you are struggling with an unfair parking charge do get in touch”

Please email your PCN story to watchdog@bbc.co.uk they want to hear about it.
    Please then tell us here that you have done so.

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Mouse007 wrote: »
    Absolutely yes, your parents simply change their wills to that effect and can change them back once you are discharged. Mine did exactly that.

Although there is the risk that it all goes pear shaped with you marriage, and I would not want a large inheritance tied up in trust for years for young children who will then have full access to it at 18.

One other option is for your parents to cover the risk of their early deaths with a second death term policy. If they are currently in good health this is a cheap option. We have done this to cover any IHT due on gifts we have made to our children just in case we don’t make the full 7 years.
  • Pepper25
    Pepper25 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for the replies.

Children are 15 & 17.5

My Parents are 78 & 77 Dad is not in good health and will die before mum, its if they die together in a car crash or something like that. On reflection I think it would be cleaner if its just left to me. Dad has got advice on it form his bank and they have suggested opening a trust to leave it in but thats 15k to start up the trust and then 3k a year to maintain it. Seems a extortionent to me.
    Ill speak to Dad about the second death team policy as that may be a way forward.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    Thank you for the replies.

Children are 15 & 17.5

My Parents are 78 & 77 Dad is not in good health and will die before mum, its if they die together in a car crash or something like that. On reflection I think it would be cleaner if its just left to me. Dad has got advice on it form his bank and they have suggested opening a trust to leave it in but thats 15k to start up the trust and then 3k a year to maintain it. Seems a extortionent to me.
    Ill speak to Dad about the second death team policy as that may be a way forward.

He would do well got avoid using banks for trusts or probate their fees are extortionate. Best to consult a local IFA, especially if IHT is an issue. Unfortunately your dad’s health will probably bar the insurance route.
  • Pepper25
    Pepper25 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    He would do well got avoid using banks for trusts or probate their fees are extortionate. Best to consult a local IFA, especially if IHT is an issue. Unfortunately your dad’s health will probably bar the insurance route.

Ill be speaking to Dad today so will ask him. Thank you.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Should your parents both die simultaneously (you used a car crash as an example), then the eldest is presumed to have died first, their estate passes to the youngest (if that is what their will specifies), and the estate is distributed according to their will in turn.
    Your (wealthy) parents should be taking proper legal advice on the best and most tax efficient structure.
    I don't understand your comment 'if they both die the will comes into force'? They must have separate wills.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport