Holiday Park Investment Or Not. What To Do With £70,000

I have £70,000 to invest. I don’t want a property with a mortgage. I don’t want to gamble on stocks and shares. I have been shown a North Devon Holiday Park scheme that would give me a 250 year lease on a single unit in an all inclusive park with a 10 year agreement and a bi annual payment resulting in 10% for the first 5 years and 12% for the second 5 years. This sounds all very good but there’s no guarantee I could sell this at the end of the 10 years or that I’d get a further favourable deal afterwards. It has been suggested that it’s best to sell after 5 years for a small profit that would allow buyers to get 10% on the second 5 years. Has anyone reading this had any experience of being able to sell a similar investment, or has any advice about this type of investment, or has other suggestions for investing this sum?

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    The terms "Holiday Park" and "Investment" do not go together. Just do some research then run a mile.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Me? I'd be 'gambling' with stocks & shares ISAs invested via an independent financial advisor- building the investment up to the max each financial year.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,452 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 13 January 2018 at 6:33PM
    Bitcoin has less chance in ending in tears. ( No don’t buy Bitcoin)

If this investment is so good why are they sharing it with the world?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Buy a caravan or motorhome instead.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    molerat wrote: »
    The terms "Holiday Park" and "Investment" do not go together. Just do some research then run a mile.

Or save yourself some time and skip the research:)
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,039 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    These things are very illiquid, unregulated and have little consumer protection amongst a host of other problems

This thread might be worth a read

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=66851427&highlight=dream#post66851427
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 January 2018 at 7:03PM
    hoohum wrote: »
    I have £70,000 to invest. I don’t want a property with a mortgage. I don’t want to gamble on stocks and shares. ........ Has anyone reading this had any experience of being able to sell a similar investment, or has any advice about this type of investment, or has other suggestions for investing this sum?

I do gamble on stocks and shares. I've gambled big, lost and made a lot of money. Lost amounts in excess of 6 figures (and luckily made more than that back). Ive just invested five figures into a Chinese company very few here will have heard of.

On a risk scale of 1-10 I was a 10 when earning, maybe an 8 now. When we had a free pensions consultation at work I showed the adviser my investments and pointed out one fund that was where i had about 50% of my investments" - Thats my cautious allocation" I said - "hmmm" he said,"thats where we advise our high risk clients to put their highest risk allocation"

And the point of that preamble is, I wouldn't touch a holiday park "investment [STRIKE]scam [/STRIKE]plan" with two extra long gold plated bargepoles.

You say you dont like risky things likes stocks and shares yet are contemplating taking on something that's beyond risk into "bye bye money" and putting 100% of your investment in it something i would never do even in my most stupid investment moments.

At least you had the sense to post here first.

EDIT UPDATE; The first questions to be answered regards more sensible suggestions is what the general plan is for this money. Whats the point of investing it? Income? Do you want to retain the capital? Would you be distraught if your investment dropped by 25% or sanguine? 50%? Do you want to retain the money long term or burn it down over a period of years?
  • ChesterDog
    ChesterDog Posts: 1,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    This sort of thing looks much safer to me, given a decent timescale.

oh1c5.png
    I am one of the Dogs of the Index.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hoohum wrote: »
    I have £70,000 to invest. I don’t want a property with a mortgage. I don’t want to gamble on stocks and shares. I have been shown a North Devon Holiday Park scheme that would give me a 250 year lease on a single unit in an all inclusive park with a 10 year agreement and a bi annual payment resulting in 10% for the first 5 years and 12% for the second 5 years.
    In order of risk, highest first:
    • lease on a single unit in an all inclusive park
    • property with a mortgage
    • balanced fund of stocks and shares and bonds.
    Among other problems, you are relying on the park managers to let your unit in preference to others, maybe their own, when demand is low.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • ChesterDog
    ChesterDog Posts: 1,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Or...

28s6ccj.png
    I am one of the Dogs of the Index.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories