PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Irenadler
    Irenadler Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello CFO's

Glad you are feeling a bit better Caronc, nothing a good virtual sausage (roll) won't cure! :o

Hmmph!

Todays menu:

Highly exotic porridge with banana n blueberries
    Roast pork, with deeply bronzed proper crackling, big fat roast potatoes, squeaky beans, carrots and cauliflower, in a nice, rich gravy.... Thanks mum!
    Toast - wholemeal seeded, dripping in butter, and a hot cocoa,.. Diet, what diet?

Snacks - naked cocoa bar, apple.

Well, it was kind of healthy, innit?

Well impressed by the thrifty grocery bill that some of you have...

I have worked out that my new budget after bills, is about £30 per week for me and the [STRIKE]walking food hoover[/STRIKE] dog. This will have to cover everything, clothes, food, cleaning, bus fares, dog food/meds, etc....

Not sure this is doable, but, needs must when reality bites you on the bum and the bank balance is vanishing....
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Irenadler wrote: »
    Hello CFO's

Glad you are feeling a bit better Caronc, nothing a good virtual sausage (roll) won't cure! :o

Hmmph!

Todays menu:

Highly exotic porridge with banana n blueberries
    Roast pork, with deeply bronzed proper crackling, big fat roast potatoes, squeaky beans, carrots and cauliflower, in a nice, rich gravy.... Thanks mum!
    Toast - wholemeal seeded, dripping in butter, and a hot cocoa,.. Diet, what diet?

Snacks - naked cocoa bar, apple.

Well, it was kind of healthy, innit?

Well impressed by the thrifty grocery bill that some of you have...

I have worked out that my new budget after bills, is about £30 per week for me and the [STRIKE]walking food hoover[/STRIKE] dog. This will have to cover everything, clothes, food, cleaning, bus fares, dog food/meds, etc....

Not sure this is doable, but, needs must when reality bites you on the bum and the bank balance is vanishing....
    Thanks Irene :),
    Tbh £30 a week sounds really tight for all that depending on how much your fares are and [STRIKE]hoover's[/STRIKE] food. Doable if you have to but better if you had a bit of wiggle room elsewhere in your finances (best deal on utilities, phone, internet etc.). As long as your fares are low and you're not too hard on your clothese should be ok though.:)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 5 February 2018 at 8:48AM
    Options
    I'd agree IreneA re checking you are getting the best possible deal on utilities etc - as hundreds of £s a year can go down the drain on paying over the odds on things.

Other thought being whether you can get a part-time evening/weekend job on top of the "day job" until things ease a bit (ie whatever is causing extra expense vanishes off the scene or you can manage to get a better-paid day job). Not a lot of fun I do know - as I spent years doing a variety of things to make extra money on top of the "day job" until things eased. Just remembering how many years I'd permanently got my eyes out for opportunities to earn extra - the price of being single eh?! But I did manage to stop extra money-earning interfering with my (quite a few) years of being an activist at least....

Off and on with the day then. Just discovered that there is some fruit I can hoick straight out of the freezer and stick on porridge (having forgotten to have anything available yesterday evening for it) - and that's frozen raspberries.

Off for round 2 - toast and coffee.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's white with frost out there, I've little food that I can think to bother to cook at the moment. Until I can think what I've got and be excited enough to stand in a cold kitchen and cook it I'll go without.
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    White with frost here too today and a snow warning for this evening (though I suspect we'll just get sleet/hail).
    I'm going to make soup today and liver&bacon for tonight - they should help keep the chills away.:)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Frost outside here too today and the winter has gone on far too long and has reached stage of feeling way too stir-crazy for someone not used to being so restricted by the weather.....

I couldn't live up where you do caron....I'd be going up the wall backwards in two weeks flat with the weather there..

On that note - better look out an extra "layer or two" of clothing to what I'm used to to put on before going out...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    yes I love up there but it is too cold and dark for me, I have a son living in Glasgow, very happily and even if one dd decided to go up to Scotland to live, then I would not follow her. I need the milder temeratures down here

Weight is back to pre christmas and I haven`t tried that hard. Breakfast was porridge, hemp and apricots. Now a mug of real fresh coffee from beans. I have taken turkey stir fry strips out of freezer, to make enough casserole for three days, will freeze 2 portions and bulk out with celeriac and flageolet or soya beans. I missed not having any hm ready meals this weekend, I have fresh veg to use so need to get going on caulie, cabbage and carrots. Maybe purple sprouting on the allotment, I am going to see after coffee

I just found a food taylor pack of dahl, 2-3 portions, yay all in a box for a cba day. Enough black chocolate left for 10 days, I ordered more and need to prep ie take out frozen berries. I may well make myself a few small apple/blackcurrant pies later, at least I can prep the pastry and put in fridge for an hour. I need food I can look forward to
  • caronc
    Options
    It's colder on the East coast, milder and wetter in the West. Pretty similiar to Wales MTSTM. Glasgow does tend to be colder than here on the coast (though less windy).
    I know what you mean about needing food to look forward to Kittie, certainly keeps me going during the winter
    The lovely sun shine has disappeared and some really purple clouds are gathering over the hills so I reckon snow round about isn't that far from falling.
    Roll on Spring, though there are lots of bulb shoots in the my garden pots so hopefully it's not too far off now.:)
    Next door's cat is in for a visit - he's most perturbed that I've moved the pet treats tin :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:(Yes I did give in a buy some cat treats, my neighbours don't mind and it saves him yowling at me forlornly......:o)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    nothing much doing with purple sprouting but I cut the leading stalk end off as I want the side shoots. Another 2-3 weeks, I am back quicker than I thought and after seeing all the garlic and shallots sprouting, I am aiming to make my 40 garlic clove soup for lunchtime and the next couple of days. Then I will shower and wash my sticky up hair, was ok hidden in a hat
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,334 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Lovely sunny but frosty day here. Even have a couple of crocus and one brave daff out in flower, but my only gardening today will be sowing some dahlia seed found in my recent rummage through

I like Scotland, but not it's weather. I remember flying from Heathrow to Inverness, shirt sleeves for summer at Heathrow, could've done with a parka at Inverness

Breakfast was HM yoghurt & honey
    Lunch I think will be cheese salad sarnie, which conveniently gets the cheese out ready for PIE TIME

Onions located and all ready to go later today for PT

Just spotted Kitties 40 garlic soup plan. Should keep the vampires away
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback