Options
2»

Comments

• uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    RNeutron wrote: »
    @Pennywise, does that apply also if the purchase was through personal finance. For example I bought a PC from a seller that provided finance through a third party lender. In that case, do I only claim what I paid toward that finance during the year or would I claim the whole purchase amount?

Do you do your accounts on a cash basis? If cash, as the link says, you deduct the actual cash payments in the year. Look at example 3 in the link.

If accrual basis the full amount is deducted in year of purchase.
  • 01afraser4
    01afraser4 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not totally sure on this, but wouldn't a Laptop be considered Capital expenditure, and therefore Capital Allowances should be claimed rather than a revenue expense?
  • RNeutron
    Options
    You can’t claim capital allowance when using the Cash basis. It will have to be considered as an expense. The question here is if I purchased that laptop let’s say from Currys PC world through finance (not hire purchase) i.e. they offered me a credit plan through a third party lender such as Hitachi where I would pay in installment to Hitachi would in that case claim only what I paid in the year or can I claim the whole amount.
    Note: a personal finance agreement allows you to own the laptop straight away. Now looking at the cash basis rules, it says that only what you pay in the year is claimed. But other people argue that you already own the laptop so you can claim it all and they consider the matter as a cash borrowing loan. In my opinion, you cannot claim the whole amount because the actual money you paid during that year for the purpose of the purchase of this laptop is only the installment you paid to the lender as per the finance agreement. Many people are giving different opinions on this.
  • RNeutron
    Options
    uknick

@Pennywise, does that apply also if the purchase was through personal finance. For example I bought a PC from a seller that provided finance through a third party lender. In that case, do I only claim what I paid toward that finance during the year or would I claim the whole purchase amount?
    Originally posted by RNeutron

Do you do your accounts on a cash basis? If cash, as the link says, you deduct the actual cash payments in the year. Look at example 3 in the link.

If accrual basis the full amount is deducted in year of purchas
    Example 3 talks about hire purchase in that case tou dont own the laptop until you pay the full amount. In my case the personal finance agreement offered by the seller through a third party lender will give you ownership to the laptop from day 1. I personally don’t think it matters because at the end of the day in both cases you are still paying in installment. I dont know tbh
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I personally don’t think it matters because at the end of the day in both cases you are still paying in installment.
    is the correct answer

cash basis = account for instalments actually paid,
    not notional borrowed cost
  • 01afraser4
    Options
    You can’t claim capital allowance when using the Cash basis..

Have we established that the OP is using the cash basis and not the accruals basis?
  • RNeutron
    Options
    I am not sure about the post originator.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure