Amazon refusing a refund over 'no signature'

Options

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bazzyb wrote: »
    They haven't. That's the whole point. It's a signed for item, the only proof would be the signature, that is what they are trying to get. I'm sure you will disagree regardless but just saying an item has been signed for means nothing unless there is a copy of said signature.

Well we shall just have to disagree on your interpretation of delivered, and the service as per its T&Cs.
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    RM have provided proof of delivery. I dont see you having much luck with a claim Im afraid.

I disagree.

If you advertise a service as "Tracked & Signed is a combination service offering full end-to-end tracking, signature on delivery and an online delivery confirmation" and the recipient claims they haven't received it, then I think it's on RM to prove it's been delivered.

If they haven't provided a signature (although I agree providing the signature is not part of the service) then how can they prove they have delivered it? They can't just say "we delivered it but we're not sharing any evidence of that with you".
  • skayes
    skayes Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 11 January 2018 at 10:58PM
    Options
    elsien, thanks for the link - I'll look into it.
    RM have provided proof of delivery. I dont see you having much luck with a claim Im afraid.

custardy, I appreciate what you're saying - however, in line with what SuperHan and bazzyb have just said, RM do say on their own website that all signed-for deliveries (including international) are not handed over until it a signature is obtained. Here is how they word it:

"A signature is taken on delivery for items sent using International Tracked & Signed and International Signed. However, we do not provide a copy of the signature to you as part of the service and it is not available to view online."

So RM claim they always collect a signature but don't go out of the way to upload it in their online tracking. Really what I'm hoping to achieve is to get RM to dig up said signature in my case (even if it was collected via the foreign post office).
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    skayes wrote: »

Custardy, I appreciate what you're saying - however, in line with what SuperHan has just said, RM do say on their own website that all signed-for deliveries (including international) are not handed over until it a signature is obtained.

On that same page, RM state:

Signature on delivery
    A signature is taken on delivery for items sent using International Tracked & Signed and International Signed. However, we do not provide a copy of the signature to you as part of the service and it is not available to view online.
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    On that same page, RM state:

Signature on delivery
    A signature is taken on delivery for items sent using International Tracked & Signed and International Signed. However, we do not provide a copy of the signature to you as part of the service and it is not available to view online.

Absolutely, as a matter of course that isn't the case.

However they can't say they have proof it has been delivered and not share it when the recipient says they haven't received it. Balance of probabilities would likely fall in the favour of the OP in that case.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    SuperHan wrote: »
    Absolutely, as a matter of course that isn't the case.

However they can't say they have proof it has been delivered and not share it when the recipient says they haven't received it. Balance of probabilities would likely fall in the favour of the OP in that case.

Balance of probabilities isn't something RM deal in. They state their T&C on the very page quoted above. You can't pick and chose the T&C to suit!

I am not saying I agree with their service, but it isn't unclear, it is very clear. They don't give a signature as part of the service.

Proof of delivery happens every single day in every single country and it happens without signature. POD is sufficient. A signature, as they agree themselves, isn't.
  • skayes
    Options
    theonlywayisup, you quoted the same part of RM's page as I did but for the opposite reason to mine. :)

I think it's a matter of what 'as part of the service' means. Of course, since I've lost both the money and the book, I have to at least try.

Thanks *so* much to you all for your advice. I don't know how long it'll take for me to hear anything from the foreign post office, and what will happen after that, but I owe it to you to let you know the outcome whatever happens. So I will definitely do that.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    skayes wrote: »
    theonlywayisup, you quoted the same part of RM's page as I did but for the opposite reason to mine. :)

I think it's a matter of what 'as part of the service' means. Of course, since I've lost both the money and the book, I have to at least try.

Thanks *so* much to you all for your advice. I don't know how long it'll take for me to hear anything from the foreign post office, and what will happen after that, but I owe it to you to let you know the outcome whatever happens. So I will definitely do that.

I did quote it but to point out to another poster their "selective reading".

The service doesn't guarantee a signature but hopefully you will get what you need. Updating this thread will be helpful, not only to those reading but to anyone finding themselves in a similar situation in the future.

Good luck.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I did quote it but to point out to another poster their "selective reading".

The service doesn't guarantee a signature

Erm .. it DOES guarantee a signature (based on what's quoted in this thread). It only doesn't guarantee to share it with the service purchaser. ;)
  • skayes
    Options
    I know this is coming very late but I promised I'd be back with an update, and better late than never!

And I can now confirm ... I got my money back.

To keep it short, the foreign post office was an absolute star and they sent me a copy of the signature by email. After failing a few times to get Amazon to even look at my additional supporting evidence, I very nearly went ahead with the suggestion to issue a chargeback from my bank. At the last minute I thought I'd try one more time to contact the Marketplace seller at Amazon. I sent the proof of postage including the signature and requested that they refund me. And they were good enough to refund me within 24 hours.

Thanks again to everyone who shared their thoughts and advice! :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport