6K loan towards flat purchase

Options
124»

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    You should be able to get a mortgage offer (usually good for ~3 months) before you put an offer in on the house you're looking to buy. Just go to the bank with the listing and all the details, they'll give you an offer, you then buy the house and have the mortgage paid out on completion (via your solicitor).
    Agreement in principle rather than a mortgage offer.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can get houses for £50K, in Nov 2017
    House in Leeds LS3 sold for 50K
    House in Bradford BD7 sold for £41K
    House in Sunderland SR4 sold for £42K
    could carry on.
    Mostly terrace houses but still houses.
  • fiisch
    fiisch Posts: 511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Impossible to say without knowing your credit worthiness, but a £6k loan is a relatively modest amount. I imagine for most people it is very possible, but there is a question as to what interest you'll pay (Zopa, for example, are one of the best loan providers out there right now with a rate of 3.0%, but there are providers who'll charge 20-odd % for the privilege of lending to customers with a lower credit score).

If you have a poor credit score, you may be looking at significantly higher rates of interest, at which point you'll have to weigh up whether the extra interest is worth it to move early/to a better area.

Alternatively, for £6k, might be worth looking at a 0% credit card? If you time it well, you get 3 months 0% spending which could be used to pay some of your moving costs... Again though, will be credit score permitting.

In my opinion, if a "cheap" loan is not available, I'd be tempted to wait until you have saved the money, but there are plenty of providers to try....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure