MSE News: Revealed: 800,000 could have saved with a prescription 'season ticket'...

Options
Former_MSE_Megan_F
Former_MSE_Megan_F Posts: 418 Forumite
Newshound!
edited 10 January 2018 at 4:23PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Hundreds of thousands of patients in England are paying more than they need to for NHS prescriptions and could save an average of almost £50 a year by getting a 'prescription prepayment certificate', data obtained by MoneySavingExpert.com reveals...
Read the full story:
'Revealed: 800,000 could have saved with a prescription 'season ticket' last year'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've got mine.

I really should get better organised and start buying the 3-monthly ones. They cost slightly more per month than the 12-month ones, but with a bit of care you can save more money.

Just as your card is about to run out, order one of everything from your doctor. That should keep you going for while, and you can leave off ordering the new card for at least a month.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • GabrielOli76
    Options
    Interesting new.

It's always good to know how much money we can save when we are smart but remembering all these saving tips in real-time when we are buying it's not easy at all (e.g. setup a list before going to supermarket, compare prices online before shopping...)
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,879 Forumite
    edited 10 January 2018 at 4:59AM
    Options
    So you have a choice, you can decide you are going to be sick multiple times in the next year, so buy a prepayment cert. Or do you decide that I was sick a couple of times last year but this year I am not going to be sick at all or I am going to be sick an awful lot? Unless you have any knowledge that you are going to be needing a prescripton (many of which ongong ailments have entitlements to free prescriptions) then how do you know in advance that you need a cert?

Obviously, if you have an ailment not covered by free prescriptions then maybe you do need a cert. But I suspect that if you have an ailment which gets free prescriptions then you will have to apply for them monthly (13 per year). But if your illness is not one of those which entitles you to free presciptions then you will be prescribed them every 2 months which would only be 6/7 times per year which is not sensible for a prepayment cert.

I look forward to someone telling me I am wrong. But I am not holding my breath. Before I was entiltled to over 60 free prescriptions, I got them anyway due to (well who really cares besides me!) & can only get them monthly, my son's prescriptions (not available free) for which he needs to pay every 56 days (6.5 times per year) whoops not enough to get a cert.

So with this many failures - some pharmasists are letting their customers down major style or the figures are just plain wrong. Unless we are able to see into the future how do we know after being healthy that we are suddenly going to need so much extra medication?
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,294 Forumite
    Options
    Why will you be prescribed them every two months? It is quite common that doctors will only prescribe a month at a time.

Also what has the fact that you have an ailment that attracts free prescriptions have to do with it. You won't need a certificate in that case.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,618 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 10 January 2018 at 1:05PM
    Options
    When I first got a PPC I was happy too even though I didn't know if I'd need enough items to make it pay for itself (I already had some repeats)

Budgeting wise it was better for me to pay £10.40 over 10 months than have to find the prescription fee an unknown number of times possibly at short notice. Which would have been much harder for me than managing a series of planned payments.

Sometimes money saving isn't about the black & white figures but being happy that paying for convenience is the best option overall.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,377 Forumite
    Options
    I always get at least a 2-month prescription from the doctor. One of them is 3 months, presumably because I started getting it before the NHS told doctors not to hand out long prescriptions any more.

There's a lot of people out there taking pills every day who don't have one of the obscure conditions from a list drawn up decades ago. For example, anyone taking statins every day for high cholesterol.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,294 Forumite
    Options
    I've got the double whammy of statins and HBP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure