Scheme for replacing lead water pipe?

edited 8 January 2018 at 11:36PM in N. Ireland
3 replies 6.6K views
PossomPossom Forumite
433 Posts
edited 8 January 2018 at 11:36PM in N. Ireland
My mains water from the main isolation tap in my house back out (presumably) to the street, is a lead pipe.

A plumber suggested to me, though he didn't know, that perhaps there might be some government scheme to replace this.

Would anyone happen to know if there is one in NI?

Thanks.

Replies

• KiwiCoopKiwiCoop Forumite
    110 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    No scheme as such but NI Water will make the connection to the toby in the street from your boundary free of charge a few weeks after you lodge the application form. However you are responsible for everything on your side i.e. digging a trench, supplying & laying the blue pipe etc. Depending on what's involved in getting the new pipe from your own stopcock to the boundary, the cost/hassle may not make it viable unless your current water pressure is particularly poor (or you're overly worried about the whole lead thing).
  • Carrot007Carrot007 Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    KiwiCoop wrote: »
    No scheme as such but NI Water will make the connection to the toby in the street from your boundary free of charge a few weeks after you lodge the application form. However you are responsible for everything on your side i.e. digging a trench, supplying & laying the blue pipe etc. Depending on what's involved in getting the new pipe from your own stopcock to the boundary, the cost/hassle may not make it viable unless your current water pressure is particularly poor (or you're overly worried about the whole lead thing).

Indeed though it is a very easy job do do yourself. Yes the digging is hard work but I did it in my last house in order to get the water pressure from pathetic to very good!.
  • edited 10 January 2018 at 12:36AM
    PossomPossom Forumite
    433 Posts
    edited 10 January 2018 at 12:36AM
    No scheme as such but NI Water will make the connection to the toby in the street from your boundary free of charge a few weeks after you lodge the application form.

That would be a distance of 12 inches from my front gate.
    (or you're overly worried about the whole lead thing).

That was my concern. I presumed a lead water supply pipe was automatically hazardous and should be extracted.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals