How much of my flat is mine visual motivator!

With special thanks to Weezl74 for the idea
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=568391

I currently own 35%. Each square is 0.25% and I have to pay off £875 to colour in a square. I'll update from time to time if I have anything interesting to say regarding my goal to get my outstanding debt (with savings and investments offset below 200k by the end of the MFi3 challenge date (April 2010)). If anyone wants to join me with a visual motivator of their own please do it seems a bit greedy to hijack a thread all to myself.

IOWNFLAT.jpg
MFi3 member 105 - MFW date Oct 2023 - 12 years 9 months more

Replies

• Great idea.
    I remember this from pay off your mortgage in 2 years programme.
    Need to get a good photo of my house and then show to my wife.
    A very good incentivisor
    :wall:
    What we've got here is....... failure to communicate.
    Some men you just can't reach.
    :wall:
  • YorkielassYorkielass Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    ooh that's a great idea.

I think I'm going to take a photograph of our house and put a grid over it and and then print out in grayscale and colour in each block as we own it we were very lucky to have a good deposit so we owned a good amount when we moved in but haven't got very far with overpayments yet so this will be a great motivator.
    Became Mortgage Free Wannabe 28/08/13
    Current Mortgage at start (October 2019) £175000 - MFD October 2036
    Mortgage now (August 2019) £168078.19 - MFD October 2036
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    36.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My version of this would bear no relationship to my actual predicament right now, cos it would actually look fantastic. Property is worth about £280k, mortgage is for £43k, only 5 years to go on the endowment, assume it would pay £20k, I own £260k of a £280k house - 84% is mine, roughly speaking. The facts that I haven't had a proper holiday in 3 years, or that I was walking around until recently with holes in my shoes, or that the cost of a bus ticket is an appreciable percentage of my weekly spend...... all that gets left out of this equation! But this way of looking at things is a big comfort to me in the dark hours, I must admit. And it also has its truth.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    Not counting this! 2020
    Garden fencing completed, woohoo 2021.......... Bunny hugger
    October 2021: aiming for £5,000 new money for premium bonds or a car.
  • esthomizzyesthomizzy Forumite
    492 Posts
    ✭✭
    Karmacat wrote: »
    My version of this would bear no relationship to my actual predicament right now, cos it would actually look fantastic. Property is worth about £280k, mortgage is for £43k, only 5 years to go on the endowment, assume it would pay £20k, I own £260k of a £280k house - 84% is mine, roughly speaking. .

You should definitely be proud of that I reckon.

I'm really sad I think I'll enjoy colouring in a square every few months :) It was a brilliant idea of weezls.
  • esthomizzyesthomizzy Forumite
    492 Posts
    ✭✭
    Update. I've filled in one square (very exciting if a bit sad). I picked one with a bit of colour in it. I also dug through my filing cabinet to see if any of the dog shares I owned/still own a good few years ago had come good yet. Most of them are still next to worthless but one of them is unexpectedly worth 2.5k which was marvellously unexpected news and good for my debt to savings/investment ratio (currently 58.6% debt overall). In the new tax year I will probably transfer it to an ISA unless I decide to sell them.

IOWNFLAT-1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND DEALS