PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Monday 8th January 2018

Options
nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 8 January 2018 at 7:33AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Monday 8th January 2018

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still dark and cold, but not raining, still loads of laying water.

Yesterday lunch was roast beef with the trimmings, managed to cook it med/rare and enjoyed it, no meat left, but there is some yorkshires, and veg, will utilise them in a meal during the week. Whilst lunch was cooking I got the pack ups made, trying to get us back to some sort of normality.

We were very lazy yesterday, just visited the outlaws and then had a chilled day at home - we'll be visiting the hospital after work tonight. So dinners will be a bit disjointed. Not sure what we're having but I'll find something.

Mum still making some steady progress, although she gets very tired very quickly, but she is having to do more, walking with assistance, therapy has started etc, so moving forward albeit slowly, as I said to dad yesterday, "as long as we're moving forward and not going backwards or stopping" it's all positive. We're a world away from where we were this time last week.

Back to work today for me, hoping for a busy day - makes the day fly by.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all, thank you for starting the thread nmlc.

I am up awake most of the night this time. Partly because of snores from OH , partly needing a wee and son in bathroom but mostly because I tripped putting the binbags put and am sore and achy. Still, bruises fade and I did not break my glasses. Sore hands knees and a bruised toe mostly.

I'm working at home, paperwork, from late morning, a late start as I'll be working into the evening.

Hope people have as good a day as possible
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning everyone

Thanks for starting us off nmlc.

I’m pleased that your dad was better behaved yesterday nannywindow, so much less stressful for you.

Glad mum is still improving nmlc.

Having spent yesterday dozing on the sofa all day, I want to see if I feel up to doing a bit of light housework today. I shall only do some light dusting and maybe put a load in the washing machine.

Yesterday dinner was a ready meal, and I think today will be a pie from the freezer. There’s also some mash in there, so it will be easy to put a pie in the oven and nuke the mash, I think there is a tin of peas in the cupboard as well so I will use them up.

On the plus side, as I haven’t been out I haven’t spent any money so that is good.

Hugs to all of you that are unwell, I hope that everyone feels better soon.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,013 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning All

Really bad night for me, can't seem to get my body clock back to normal. Still, another load of washing has been done and some more holiday stuff sorted out and put away! Hoping a day at work will get me back to some sort of routine.

Pleased to hear your DM is making good progress nmlc.
    Hope Lulu's move goes well Lainey, sounds like you're better off away from that yard.
    Hope all the poorlies are feeling better today.

Take care. XX
  • ScarletRibbons
    Options
    Good morning, bitterly cold here, minus 3 when I looked earlier.

Sorry to hear you've had a fall AOD, shakes you up doesn't it.
    NMLC, glad your Mum seems to be improving.

Didn't go out at all yesterday. I used up some sad looking veg into a tasty soup, and made fishcakes with left over mash and some frozen haddock. Also used some mince to make 4 portions of bolognese which is now in the freezer. That's the trouble in a way, you use the stuff up, but it goes back into the freezer in another form!!

Dh took some rubbish to the tip, and I was going to tidy up outside, but the day got away from me. What exciting lives we lead, a trip to the tip, cooking, whatever next.

What does today hold - a trip to the doc's for me, and I must buy a few groceries. I've been holding off, but now have no eggs, spuds are getting low, I'll call in somewhere on the way home from doctor's.

A friend died just before Christmas, and her daughter is calling round this afternoon with some photos for me to pass on to another friend.

I also have some clothes alterations to do. I hate altering things, but will always do them for the family.
    So that's it folks - hope you all have a good day.
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Very cold here yesterday I left the heating on low all night so at least the house is warm this morning. Off to work for us all OH is back today after almost three weeks away so is not looking forward to it !!

Sausages for dinner tonight with mash green beans and peas will do some gravy too a nice comforting dinner.

OH washed my car yesterday bless him, there was a bitter wind and I told him to leave it but it was head to toe covered in mud so Im very glad he done it, just need to try and avoid the car park at work for a while now. The argument is still ongoing with the car wash people they have denied responsibility :mad: but I will fight on, I have a chap coming to fix the scratch on Wednesday so will try to claim the money back.

Csarina thank goodness you were ok xx

AOD ouch ! you take are xx

Have good days all xx
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,045 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning everyone.

Freezing here though not as bad as other places I gather. Text from JL tells me that the are on the road and call when 30 minutes away. I need to strip the bed and clear the bedsides.

For now I’m enjoying a few more minutes in bed.

Happy Monday to all.
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone :hello:

Sorry I haven't been around, I have not been very well and couldn't sit long enough to post. I don't know what I did to myself but I have been in so much pain internally but at last I am on the mend.

Becky has been home for a few days and it has gone a lot better this time. She is going back tomorrow night and hopefully she will be discharged this month. I have been on eggshells though hoping that things go smoothly. We have had one 'episode' but Steve and I managed it between ourselves and with a lot of cwtchs and cuddles we got her through it.

Lilly is allowed back on her college course so she starts back tomorrow which will be a relief. Phoebe isn't doing too well at the moment so has asked to stay home today. Steve has gone back to work this morning after his long holiday so I hope he gets back into the swing of things.

I am trying out a new recipe today of a steamed lamb and leek pudding. I will serve it with mash, roasted carrots and brussels. I feel the need for something substantial after the past few days. I also have the ingredients to make a cheesecake but that will have to wait until there is some room in the fridge for it to chill.

I have tried to keep up with all your news. I am sorry that so many of us have been poorly. I think it is just the time of year unfortunately for all the bugs to come out and play.

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

Didnt have a very good evening last night unfortunately. Sliced my finger with a new knife id bought. Blood everywhere and ouch did it hurt! Might have needed a stitch or two as it was deep but ive plastered it up and am hoping for the best. Still sore though.

Had a huge row with the blonde one last night over baby photographs, I'll say no more about that as im still pretty raw.

Meanwhilst, ill be getting up in a minute. Its the blonde ones first day back at work. Funny how she remembers the things I didnt do but forgets the things I did and still do.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all.
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. Lots of ouches among us today - CSARINA and AOD hope no lasting effects from the mishaps.

I had a better night's sleep albeit restless) but don't feel any better for it. Still lifeless and no energy. This virus has a lot to answer for. When I was a child, long long ago, I used to hear of old people going into convalescent homes at the seaside to recover from illness. Do they still have them I wonder, it's just what I could do with!!

I left the lean sliced braising steak in the sc overnight and it did smell good when I got up this morning. We'll have that with mash at lunchtime or tonight, depending when Mr TA wants it. I still have very little appetite but am eating a little more than I was. This is not like me, I can normally eat till the cows come home!

Have a good day folks and keep warm. ((HUGS)) for all the poorlies, carers, sad or worried. Enjoy your day dp1. Take care all xxx

Oh another ouch = that sounds bad JUDI x
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning all :)

I've returned from the 'work' trip to Berlin. Didn't do too much working, more team bonding. Lovely city, really was. I wouldn't mind going back. Done all the usual touristy things. The weekend was a bit more expensive than I'd have hoped but hey ho.

Reading through your many replies on my thoughts about growing a beard. While I divided opinion, I'm going to keep it for another few weeks and I'll get rid. That way I can say I've done it. It's not some bushy, messy, hipster thing, so I'll get away with it without looking homeless.

So I now feel like 2018 is starting today since i was floored with the flu and had a work weekend away. Getting back into the routine of going to the gym, playing footie, eating better etc.

AoD - Sounds a sore one, hope you're not in too much pain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure