We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Loan must have a current account?

Hi all,
I've had a personal loan & current account with Natwest for the last 4 years.

My partner and I recently changed our accounts to Abbey, with seperate accounts for the pair of us, and a joint account for all of our bills.

This has made my current account at natwest, defunct. I asked Natwest if they could take the money for my loan from my Abbey account, as this is where my salary is being deposited.

They stated that I had to have a current account with them, so that they could take the loan repayment from there, and subsequently apply that to my loan account.

Are they correct in this?

I suppose I could set-up a standing order to go from my abbey account to my old Natwest current account, then they could get the money from there. But I'm just worried that with banks holidays etc, they may overlap and get charged.

I'd personally just like the money to com efrom the abbey account.

I was planning on taking the loan from Natwest over to abbey, but becuase my credit rating is not so good, I can't do this.

Any help or advice would be super!

Comments

  • Mark7799
    Mark7799 Posts: 4,807
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Set the standing order up early to give you enough margin of error such as a week?
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
  • Mark, yes, that is the easiest option. I've even planned to have the date of the direct debit changed (But it all needs to be in writing etc etc).

    I was just flumoxed with their brick wall "No. Can't do that. Need a current account" attitude.

    Sadly their brochure on loans isn't that clear either - You have to be 18 or over and a customer for a loan, or 22 and not a customer.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.