Loan must have a current account?

Options
Hi all,
I've had a personal loan & current account with Natwest for the last 4 years.

My partner and I recently changed our accounts to Abbey, with seperate accounts for the pair of us, and a joint account for all of our bills.

This has made my current account at natwest, defunct. I asked Natwest if they could take the money for my loan from my Abbey account, as this is where my salary is being deposited.

They stated that I had to have a current account with them, so that they could take the loan repayment from there, and subsequently apply that to my loan account.

Are they correct in this?

I suppose I could set-up a standing order to go from my abbey account to my old Natwest current account, then they could get the money from there. But I'm just worried that with banks holidays etc, they may overlap and get charged.

I'd personally just like the money to com efrom the abbey account.

I was planning on taking the loan from Natwest over to abbey, but becuase my credit rating is not so good, I can't do this.

Any help or advice would be super!

Comments

• Mark7799
    Mark7799 Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Set the standing order up early to give you enough margin of error such as a week?
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
  • skedster
    Options
    Mark, yes, that is the easiest option. I've even planned to have the date of the direct debit changed (But it all needs to be in writing etc etc).

I was just flumoxed with their brick wall "No. Can't do that. Need a current account" attitude.

Sadly their brochure on loans isn't that clear either - You have to be 18 or over and a customer for a loan, or 22 and not a customer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure