Scared of changing jobs

Options
2»

Comments

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I think in the short term you can also look at how you work in your current role and how that compares with other people doing similar jobs.

I get what yuou are saying, in my office we have fewer secretarial posts than we did even 10 years ago, as more is done via e-mail, etc.

We are not looking at redundancies, we've mostly just taken on fewer new people, but back in 2007 when the recession hit and we did have to make redundancies, we were looking (among other things) at how flexible / adaptable people were. So if you have reception and admin and secretarial skills, rather than just one of those, you are less likely to be selected, as you are more able to be flexible and met the needs of the business.

Similarly, if you are perceived as someone who is helpful and tries to make things work, and has a positive attitude, rather than someone who has a 'not in my job description, not my problem' attitude, then your bosses will have noticed this and it is likely to carry weight in terms of who stays and who goes, if they do make redundancies.

That said, do polish up your CV and maybe consider any other options - for instance, lots of companies have started to use of-site services and while some of these are based overseas, not all are - I think they would tend to be more straight typing from dictation or remote (telephone) reception but it might be worth looking in to that s another option.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Lbs
    Lbs Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Are there any positions in a different department within your current employer?
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Options
    If you're in the South East you will have no problem at all getting a temp job or a permanent job. I was made redundant last January, applied for a ton of jobs and was back in work within 6 weeks. Additionally I won't see 60 again!

Some agencies offer skill updating programmes, so that would be worth checking out. Agencies will tweak your CV for you too. Also get yourself on LinkedIn if you're not already on, they have a large jobs section.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport