We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Re-mortgaging - Option 1 or Option 2?
Theydontmakeiteasytosave£
Posts: 11 Forumite
Hello all,
I'm looking for some help to choose from the options below, which seems like the better option to you and why?
I do have savings that were going to be used for a new bathroom but I could put it towards the mortgage for option 2? I do want to start overpaying the mortgage which both these deals allow for a 10% overpayment each year.
House value £170,000
Current mortgage £130,746
Re-mortgage offering upto £129,500 only. I'm just under the 75% for lower rates.
Option 1 – Keep the borrowing at £129,500 and switch to the 85% Loan to Value product of 2.05% fixed rate until 31/03/2023 with a £999 Product Fee which can be added to the loan and monthly payments of approx.. £475
Option 2 – Stay with the 1.90% 5 year product and reduce the borrowing to £126,500 plus £999 Product Fee this would mean you would need to pay about £3,500 along with the £126,500. Monthly payments of approx...£455.
I'm looking for some help to choose from the options below, which seems like the better option to you and why?
I do have savings that were going to be used for a new bathroom but I could put it towards the mortgage for option 2? I do want to start overpaying the mortgage which both these deals allow for a 10% overpayment each year.
House value £170,000
Current mortgage £130,746
Re-mortgage offering upto £129,500 only. I'm just under the 75% for lower rates.
Option 1 – Keep the borrowing at £129,500 and switch to the 85% Loan to Value product of 2.05% fixed rate until 31/03/2023 with a £999 Product Fee which can be added to the loan and monthly payments of approx.. £475
Option 2 – Stay with the 1.90% 5 year product and reduce the borrowing to £126,500 plus £999 Product Fee this would mean you would need to pay about £3,500 along with the £126,500. Monthly payments of approx...£455.
0
Comments
-
Do they have any fee free options what rate are they?0
-
I can't remember the fee free interest but it took the monthly payments over £500 per month0
-
The second option is obviously cheaper so I would go for that and save up for bathroom or put it on 0% credit card. Have you only looked at your existing lender deals?I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Save £12k in 2026 Challenge £12000/£10,000
365 day 1p Challenge 2026 £667.95/£600.31
Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php0 -
No, I've shopped around, Coventry were coming up cheapest so would switch to them. I've never had a credit card but will look into a 0% card thanks.0
-
Theydontmakeiteasytosave£ wrote: »I can't remember the fee free interest but it took the monthly payments over £500 per month
Which does not tell you if they are cheaper overall
For your two options you are not comparing like for like as there is a difference of £3k on the borrowing
£170,000/£130,746 LTV 76.9%
£170,000/£129,500 LTV 76.2%
£170,000/£126,500 LTV 74.4%
in 5 years
£126,500 2.05% £475pm £110,157
£126,500 1.90% £475pm £109,224
The second option is £933 cheaper over 5 years.
From that you can work out the true cost of borrowing the £3k using the mortgage and compare against other options that will work with whatever cashflow you have over the 5 years0 -
Thanks so much for breaking that down!0
-
Don't add the fees to the loan! You'll end up paying interest on them too. Pay them upfront and then they only cost what they say they cost.0
-
ValiantSon wrote: »Don't add the fees to the loan! You'll end up paying interest on them too. Pay them upfront and then they only cost what they say they cost.
When doing the numbers it really makes no difference as any borrower only has so much cash they can put into the pot thy either have the money or they don't and can always over pay if they do have the cash and get added.
You could just as well say borrow less as you will be paying interest on the amount you borrow.
often the best option is to borrow less and add the fees because they become payable a bit later and you save some interest and sometime they only get paid if you complete where as paid up fron they can be non refundable.
if that borrowing less and adding can get you into a lower LTV then it can make a big difference in favour of adding the fees.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards