We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Nationwide - Mortgage Application to Offer - Problems
martinlewisjunior
Posts: 94 Forumite
So I did what most sensible people do. I applied via a Mortgage Advisor but not in branch, through a recommendation with excellent reviews.And what a nightmare it's been! I'm now a few days away from a decision, which would have been done in 11 days not nearly a month and bit.
I'm wondering if I should ask for a refund as I paid a service fee for their services but they've made many errors along the way, here's a few things that have occured during my application that they got wrong.
- Didn't do a mortgage in principle with the bank to check if they would lend me the correct amount, they only checked with another bank and just assumed they would lend me the same amount.
- Upon application it was deferred for a few days and they wouldn't give me updates on what the hold up was , I had to ring up Nationwide myself to find out.(Part of their service is regular updates.)
- They first got the deposit wrong, they assumed all my deposit was a gift. When I had stated it was coming from myself. They had to inform Nationwide and correct this.
- Turned out the bonus part of the application they needed two years of proof. Not just one year, so Nationwide reduced what they would lend me and I had to cough up a bigger deposit. I also checked the intermediary website it clearly states that's the case. How did they miss this/I wish I read it in the first place, but I just assumed the MA would know what to do?? Also reapplying elsewhere wasn't a good idea because of already being two weeks from when the seller made the offer.
- Upon the second adjusted deposit, they got the deposit wrong...again, This time I found out via Nationwide, I didn't bother changing it as it would require a new application this time round. But it meant I had to cough up a bigger deposit again..
- They didn't ask me what type of Valuation I wanted.They instructed a basic one , when I wanted a Home Buyers Report. I found out on the day of the valuation and said if I wanted to stop it, I should ring the estate agents to decline entry and they would apply for Home Buyers report. I decided that wouldn't look good on the seller!
- Last but not least, I asked at the very start that I wanted to pay my fee up front for the mortgage application, they instead applied for a mortgage that included the fee so I have to pay interest on it instead...
- They've failed to give me regular updates most of all and lot's of chasing!
All this headache cost me a month plus a £299 fee for the privlege!
Anyways I won't name and shame them! but should I ask for a refund or part refund?
Thanks
MrM:money:
p.s Nationwide have been really good in turns of changing all these problems everytime something happened/ The valuation came back all good so it hasn't been down valued.
I'm wondering if I should ask for a refund as I paid a service fee for their services but they've made many errors along the way, here's a few things that have occured during my application that they got wrong.
- Didn't do a mortgage in principle with the bank to check if they would lend me the correct amount, they only checked with another bank and just assumed they would lend me the same amount.
- Upon application it was deferred for a few days and they wouldn't give me updates on what the hold up was , I had to ring up Nationwide myself to find out.(Part of their service is regular updates.)
- They first got the deposit wrong, they assumed all my deposit was a gift. When I had stated it was coming from myself. They had to inform Nationwide and correct this.
- Turned out the bonus part of the application they needed two years of proof. Not just one year, so Nationwide reduced what they would lend me and I had to cough up a bigger deposit. I also checked the intermediary website it clearly states that's the case. How did they miss this/I wish I read it in the first place, but I just assumed the MA would know what to do?? Also reapplying elsewhere wasn't a good idea because of already being two weeks from when the seller made the offer.
- Upon the second adjusted deposit, they got the deposit wrong...again, This time I found out via Nationwide, I didn't bother changing it as it would require a new application this time round. But it meant I had to cough up a bigger deposit again..
- They didn't ask me what type of Valuation I wanted.They instructed a basic one , when I wanted a Home Buyers Report. I found out on the day of the valuation and said if I wanted to stop it, I should ring the estate agents to decline entry and they would apply for Home Buyers report. I decided that wouldn't look good on the seller!
- Last but not least, I asked at the very start that I wanted to pay my fee up front for the mortgage application, they instead applied for a mortgage that included the fee so I have to pay interest on it instead...
- They've failed to give me regular updates most of all and lot's of chasing!
All this headache cost me a month plus a £299 fee for the privlege!
Anyways I won't name and shame them! but should I ask for a refund or part refund?
Thanks
MrM:money:
p.s Nationwide have been really good in turns of changing all these problems everytime something happened/ The valuation came back all good so it hasn't been down valued.
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards