We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

First Mortgage

Hi Everyone. I've just bought my first flat :)

I was due to complete on 1st December 2017 however by 28th November it was clear this wasn't going to happen. It was delayed by a couple of weeks. I signed mortgage papers at the solicitors on 4th December and I completed on 14th December.

Yesterday my first payment came out my account. I thought this was odd as I was supposed to pay the first payment until 1st Feb (1st of the month, following the first full month of owning the flat). I called up Scottish Widows and they said my solicitor requested the funds on 1st December and that's why I've made my first payment.

So a couple of things:
1) Has this cost me anything? All I can see is that I will have started paying my mortgage back a month earlier than I planned to which I guess isn't a bad thing.
2) Am I entitled to any interest the solicitor has earnt in the 14 days they had the money
3) Are they allowed to request the mortgage funds before I've signed the mortgage papers?

Many thanks!
(BWT, I'm in Scotland -just in case that makes a difference)

Comments

  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,791
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    All questions for your solicitors.

    We cannot be sure about the circumstances here so any advice on the forum is conjecture.

    We do know that Scottish Widows will start charging interest as soon as they have paid out the funds.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.