We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

A very long shot

Hi, I really know that this is a very long shot, but it is always better to try and fail rather than never try at all. The long story short: I'm an EU citizen living and working in England for nearly 2 years now. Both with my wife are working for more than a year at the same place. We have decent (and as stable as they can be) jobs with a good income. We have 3 children in Primary school. We've been private tenants since we moved and we never missed any payment. On the downside our credit history (apart from being short) is a little mess because of regular account switching and interest chase. From my calculations (I know they are not eligible) we can easily afford mortgage repayments in the vicinity of £1000 per month. So my first question is what are my chances of getting a mortgage at all? And the second one is what are my chances of getting a mortgage with about 10% self funding? OK, I know that this is annoying already but if any of the answers is yes where should I look for? I have accounts in several major banks if it matters. An advice from a foreigner who has already gone this way will be most appreciated too. Thanks for your patience and for not being too sharp towards me. I wrote this because we found a house that we fell for instantly the moment we saw it and ... well you know love at first sight.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

Comments

  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,079
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    I would be relatively confident you will have options.
    One or 2 of the lenders I can think of do not credit score, so providing it passes affordability it should be fine. There are 2-3 high street lenders I can think of, but passing credit score could be a little hit and miss with limited history and a number of credit checks.

    One for a broker, but I think there is definitely a chance.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.