We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

What to do when original mortgage deal ends?

Hello experts,

I bought a flat eighteen months ago with a 2yr deal, so it ends in June. I paid £195k when I bought, and compared to others in the local area, it would probably be valued now at about £220k (I haven't had a new valuation). My salary is 40k and in June, I will have about 145k left on the mortgage. I'd like to move in late 2019/early 2020. Am I best off just leaving the mortgage to run on rather than remortgaging and having to pay a fee...?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

  • YHM
    YHM Posts: 650 Forumite
    Hi Jessica

    Much better to remortgage, but ensure that the rate that you move on to is appropriate for the potential house move. You also shouldn't need to pay any fees, if you source the right product. Maybe use a broker for this?
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
  • Hi YHM, what's the process with a broker? Would I need to get an independent valuation too to decrease my LTV?

    The other thing is, my situation is going to change in mid 2019, meaning I will have a lot more disposable income. At the moment i pay about £500 a month, but from then, I'd like to increase it to at least £750 (and/or reduce the term). As that's pretty close to the time I'm planning to move, I would probably be best off waiting to overpay the next place. But I don't know if there are mortgages which would be suitable for under 2 years without set-up fees or an exit fee that'd make it worthwhile?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.