We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Advice Short Term Mortgage or Buy to Let

jaller79
jaller79 Posts: 24
Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts
Forumite
edited 18 January 2018 at 12:58PM in Mortgages & endowments
Advice please for an awkward one - apologies !!

Finance - I need a break due to personal circumstances.

Future requirements stay living in Property or rent out potentially



Looking to purchase a prooperty to live in and maybe renovate for 6 months then either live in it or rent it -
After 6 months there may be a lump sum from sale of my family home - so need a mortgage with complete flexibility. Short Term.

My requiremnets as below

Cost 130000 -
Cash Deposit 40k =
Required Mortgage = 90k -
Lumpsum payment in 6 months = 60K
After 6 months = 30K

Convert to Buy to let -if circumstances change

My details single income - 35K


Questions -

Option 1 - Could I purchase the property with a buy to let mortgage - then live in it for 6 months
option 2 - Take a traker with no repayment charges - Offset - Flexible.


Thanks hope that expains this

John
«1

Comments

  • YHM
    YHM Posts: 650 Forumite
    BTL mortgages are based on the property being rented / rentable from day one. Any sniff of you wanting to live in the property, this would not be classed as an unregulated traditional BTL.
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
  • jaller79
    jaller79 Posts: 24
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    Whats the minimum term for a mortgage when does a mortgage become a bridging loan -I wonder
    - Ok residential mortgage is key then if I decide different I can convert to buy to let.
    Are there products that allow a mortgage for 6 months or one year only. with no repayment fee.
  • YHM
    YHM Posts: 650 Forumite
    Bridging loans are usually capped at 12 months with a solid exit strategy, however, there will be fees.
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
  • jaller79
    jaller79 Posts: 24
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    Or could I get a Mortgage for a year and convert to a buy to let -as an example.
  • jaller79
    jaller79 Posts: 24
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks for help - what I need is a solution - anyone know of a product or is a standard mortgage with no exit fee the option -
  • YHM
    YHM Posts: 650 Forumite
    There are plenty of flexible mortgages available to you. A concern for a lender would be how quickly you repay the mortgage in full.
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
  • jaller79
    jaller79 Posts: 24
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    So im looking for a flexible mortage with no repayment charges - above was not an option BTL - ill rule that out.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Plenty of flexible options or an offset.

    Just don't talk about short term lending or potentially letting it out to the lenders.

    for cash flow a longer term is the way to go you can always pay it off earlier.
  • jaller79
    jaller79 Posts: 24
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks - so take a flexible mortgage with offsets and no repayment charge - dont tell them I only want it for a year ??? Would that be sensible what if I came to change to BTL and was not allowed?
  • YHM
    YHM Posts: 650 Forumite
    A lender cannot restrict a remortgage to another lender, however, they can just not lend the money if they feel it would only be a short-term lend
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.