SP Question

Options
13»

Comments

• drumtochty
    Options
    To pay Class 2 as you say you must add the self employed page to your online self assessment tax return and fill that in and tick the box you want to pay Class 2 NI contributions.

You also have to be registered as self employed with HMRC and to pay Class 2 NI you have to be registered by early October of the first tax year you want to pay Class2 contributions.

Therefore for the 2017 2018 tax year you have to register by early October 2017. I may be wrong on this but that is my reading of HMRC guidance and if you and your wife have not already done this you may well not be able to pay Class 2 for this tax year. Only the next tax year.

I believe just being self employed is not enough you have to register to get the Class 2 advantage.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    KarriNut

This seems like something you need to discuss with your accountant. You are paying for their professional advice so you need to establish if they have actually been declaring your rental income as self employment (unlikely imho) or as rental income, which i don't think entitles you to pay class 2 NI.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure