OVO - 'finalled customer'

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
10 replies 1.5K views
EnceladusEnceladus Forumite
87 Posts
Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
Is there something going on with OVO?

We switched from the MSE BG fix to the OVO 2 year fix when the BG fix ended.

Today when I look at my OVO account it variously says:
"There is no need to submit any more readings as we are no longer supplying your electricity."
and
"As a finalled customer your direct debit plan details are not known to us."
and
"We think your energy costs this year will be £0.00"

Also the account balance is less than it should be. IE the net total of the one statement and the DDs in the payment history do not agree with the account balance.
and
I also notice that the one statement issued is only for electricity. There's no gas.

It's almost as if we've been switched to another supplier without permission. Should we be worried?

Replies

• SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to call Ovo and get them to check the meter database to confirm which supplier is linked to your meter numbers. If it is not Ovo, then ask them to invoke the Charter for Erroneous Transfers. Ovo will then take action to transfer your supply back to them on your present tariff terms.
  • Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I guess there is something wrong with their IT. I just logged in to the app and it shows my switch is in progress! I switched in October.

Hopefully others will add feedback. If it's a general problem then contacting them isn't going to help. I suggest waiting a couple of days.
  • Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just checked their Twitter feed. Seems to be a general problem. Their tech team are back on Tuesday
  • dggardggar Forumite
    641 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I switched from Co-oP energy to OVO in Sept 2017, (switch Date 26th Sept). My accounts are still telling me that the electricy meter is not yet validated.

Does anyone know what is involved in Validating a meter.

there has been no problem with my gas meter.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    dggar wrote: »
    I switched from Co-oP energy to OVO in Sept 2017, (switch Date 26th Sept). My accounts are still telling me that the electricy meter is not yet validated.

Does anyone know what is involved in Validating a meter.

there has been no problem with my gas meter.

It is not validating a meter. The gaining supplier will have asked you for an opening meter reading which it then passes on to an industry third-party for validation. Once validated, the meter reading is used to open and close your accounts. The process normally takes no more than a couple of weeks. have you had a Final Bill from the Coop: if so, then the reading has been validated. If not, then contact Ovo and ask them to explain the delay.
  • dggardggar Forumite
    641 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hengus wrote: »
    It is not validating a meter. The gaining supplier will have asked you for an opening meter reading which it then passes on to an industry third-party for validation. Once validated, the meter reading is used to open and close your accounts. The process normally takes no more than a couple of weeks. have you had a Final Bill from the Coop: if so, then the reading has been validated. If not, then contact Ovo and ask them to explain the delay.

I gave the opening readings to OVO on the evening of 25th Sep.

Each month when submitting my meter readings I have had the validation message, and each month I ask OVO when the issue will be resolved. The answer is usually "our billing team are looking into this and it should be resolved in the next 14 working days"

I have been in contact with Co-oP about the final bill. They are awaiting confirmation from OVO. Until they receive that they cannot produce a final bill.

Who is the industry third party that does the validation?

I send OVO photographic images of all the readings I give them even though I cannot enter the elec readings on their meter readings page.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I gave the opening readings to OVO on the evening of 25th Sep.

Each month when submitting my meter readings I have had the validation message, and each month I ask OVO when the issue will be resolved. The answer is usually "our billing team are looking into this and it should be resolved in the next 14 working days"

I have been in contact with Co-oP about the final bill. They are awaiting confirmation from OVO. Until they receive that they cannot produce a final bill.

Who is the industry third party that does the validation?

I send OVO photographic images of all the readings I give them even though I cannot enter the elec readings on their meter readings page.

Historical data is held on file for all properties by the Data Collectors. On change of supplier, the Data Collectors provide your new supplier with your projected annual usage for gas and electricity based on actual meter readings adjusted for seasonal weather variations. If you have waited since September for a Final Bill, you should raise a formal complaint in writing. Under EU Law, suppliers have 6 weeks from the date of the actual transfer to raise a Final Bill. I would also raise a formal complaint against Ovo for not setting up your online account. Most suppliers take note of written complaints.
  • RaxielRaxiel Forumite
    967 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭

Co-Op can, (and when it gets to switch + 6 weeks - 1 day, should) produce a final bill using estimated readings, and then issue a corrected bill for the difference once the readings are finally validated. If they'd been getting regular reads before the estimate should be reasonably accurate, meaning the final correction should only be for +/- a few quid rather than them holding onto your whole winter surplus.
  • dggardggar Forumite
    641 Posts
    ✭✭
    OVO request meter readings from me on the 21st of each month. On 21st Dec I was still unable to enter any elec meter readings, however I emailed my elec meter reading together with a photo of the meter.

Following on from the the replies from Raxiel and Hengus I have just checked my OVO account and it now shows I can enter readings for my elec meter.

Thanks to both of you.
  • EnceladusEnceladus Forumite
    87 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The website is back to normal this morning when I checked, so it seems it was a temporary fault.

However the credit balance shown is still less than the net of the direct debits and statement that are listed.

And still no sign of a gas statement, just one for electricity. The switch occurred on Oct 5th and we've had a final bill from British Gas so surely gas should have been billed by now? Perhaps that's the missing money?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides