Debt for course

Options
Hi,

Around 5 years ago I enrolled on a electrical course with a company called Train for Trade Skills. Part way through the course they informed me I would need to pay to go away for various weeks throughout the year as a part of the course which I wasn't aware of at enrolment. Being a single mum with no supportive father to my children, child care was an issue and I had to pull out of the course!

I was told I had to pay for full amount for the course, £5,000 and I am now down to £2,900 being paid back via a legal recoveries company.

Should I be liable for the full amount and is there anything I can do to challenge this?

It doesn't appear on my credit report and with it being a loan I would have thought it would?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• w00519772
    w00519772 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    I think you will of signed terms and conditions when you enrolled on the course. It should tell you what happens in these circumstances. If you don't have these terms and conditions then ask the company. I am no expert though - just giving my opinon.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

Was the agreement covered by the consumer credit act ?

Do you have a copy of your agreement at all ?

This company appear on a few forums, where people have had issues with them.

You need to check what it says on your agreement, as that rules what they can, and cannot do.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure