Cash for unwanted designer clothes

Options
Am in the process of clearing out my wardrobes, I have a lot of clothing that I have hardly worn over the past year or so, where is the best place to get some money back for these items?

As a caveat I wouldn't describe a lot of the items as tat, I have a Hugo Boss coat, Ralph Lauren and Ted Baker hoodies for example so am looking for a site that would pay per item rather then pay per kg of clothing irrespective of what it is, does anyone have any advice please,

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You may get best prices via local Facebook buy and sell groups or gumtree
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Robinette
    Options
    I've sold a couple of items through vestiairecollective.com. The commission is quite steep, but the prices achieved were still higher than I could get anywhere else.
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Ted Baker is worth less than 10% of what you pay for it, see a lot of it in charity shops. But you could try eBay, but it's saturated. Ralph Lauren isn't exactly high end designer either and can be picked up in TK Maxx and the like for no more than Adidas etc. Hugo Boss is a label you see in really low end stores like Sports Direct and other really low end designer clearance places like T J Hughes, so again I would be expecting to charity shop it. If it was high end designer then a dress agency would be interested - but not for those labels.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    inglorius wrote: »
    Am in the process of clearing out my wardrobes, I have a lot of clothing that I have hardly worn over the past year or so, where is the best place to get some money back for these items?

To be really MSE, return the items to your wardrobe and wear them in 2018. Do not buy any more clothes until you have worn out at least one item.

"Cash for Clothes" type places give around 40p a kilo, so for 5 kilos (or 11lb) you will receive the princely sum of £2!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Wizzbang
    Options
    Having realised the poor returns on getting rid of perfectly good clothing, you should consider learning to sew and re-working the items (like they did in WW2). It provides much better value and you learn skills to boot.

I recently transformed an unloved and uncomfortable pair of jeans, admittedly they only cost £4.50 in the sale. But just by changing the waistband with an old top and about 20p of elastic and now I wear them regularly. I also took the hems up to fit me perfectly.
    Minimalist

• Emmaaar22
    Options
    I`ll have them :D

I buy clothes for a cheap price and then resell them on for profit. I know places where they will go for quite a bit of money. Only thing is they have in good/Great condition. Any fault wrong with them and I won`t have it.
    2017 Wins - Coco Pops, £100 Amazon voucher, Elf T-shirt, £250 Zalando Voucher and £250 FeelUnique Voucher, private gig concerts
    2018 Wins - Steep xbox game, 2 tangle teezer, Contagion Book, JC Annual, water sports bottle, 10p, 2 cricket tickets, can of fizz, 10p, Ribenia, Johnson baby products
  • inglorius
    inglorius Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    Emmaaar22 wrote: »
    I`ll have them :D

I buy clothes for a cheap price and then resell them on for profit. I know places where they will go for quite a bit of money. Only thing is they have in good/Great condition. Any fault wrong with them and I won`t have it.

Care to share these places please
  • Wizzbang
    Options
    inglorius wrote: »
    Care to share these places please

Oh yeah, sure they're going to tell you their business outlets on a public forum. Ha ha ha.

In this life, you do the hard work yourself. Read the MSE forums, they have a comprehensive guide on where it is possible to sell items. It's called Boost Your Income and you can also take the time to read these forums. But don't expect anyone to tell you what you can read for free, for yourself!
    Minimalist

• elly68
    elly68 Posts: 2,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I find they sell quite well at bootsales same as plus clothing and goth clothing
    So finally debt free and it feels amazing however continuing here to stay debt free.Next declutter house and body and finally swim under that waterfall x
  • inglorius
    inglorius Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    Wizzbang wrote: »
    Oh yeah, sure they're going to tell you their business outlets on a public forum. Ha ha ha.

In this life, you do the hard work yourself. Read the MSE forums, they have a comprehensive guide on where it is possible to sell items. It's called Boost Your Income and you can also take the time to read these forums. But don't expect anyone to tell you what you can read for free, for yourself!

Thanks, it would have taken less time to provide a link to one of these places rather then offer the response you did. I'll get reading.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure