Fund Switch

Options
Merry Christmas guys, I am just looking for a little feedback or even suggestions if anyone is willing. I am currently in my salary sacrifice pension which is automatically invested in the following:

https://www.trustnet.com/factsheets/p/i6zf/av-mym-my-future-growth-pn

Performance is so so, seems to be very 'safe'. I was looking to take control and was thinking of a 50/50 split across Lindsell Train Global Equity and Fundsmith Equity every month instead.

Any thoughts or advice?

Cheers

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,485 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Performance is so so, seems to be very 'safe'.

Its not safe. More medium risk.
    I was looking to take control and was thinking of a 50/50 split across Lindsell Train Global Equity and Fundsmith Equity every month instead.

That would be moving up the risk scale quite significantly and putting you right at the opposite end of safe.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Caravan_of_Love
    Options
    Thanks Dunstonh. I am 35 years old so I factored in I could take some risk at this stage in my life.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,485 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Dunstonh. I am 35 years old so I factored in I could take some risk at this stage in my life.

Timescale certainly dilutes risk. However, investment risk is not the only risk. Behaviour risk is another. Can you handle getting a statement showing the value has halved?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Caravan_of_Love
    Options
    Very good point. Before I would have said no, now it is different as tend to look at life/money differently.

Would you say the above seems too risky?

Cheers
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

The majority of long term returns are made through compounding, i.e. reinvestment of income. Investment shouldn't be viewed as a sprint, more like a marathon.
  • Smoothape
    Options
    It's kind of silly to move from a portfolio fund into just a couple of equity funds. If you're going to manage the funds yourself you'll probably want to spread out the investment types a bit more.

I'm the same age as you and in a couple of higher risk equity funds because I feel I can take that risk but also in some lower risk mixed funds and some FTSE funds. (I'm not rich enough to stash away and go ultra low risk into glts and bonds and slowly lose money).

I moved out of my default portfolio fund mainly because it hasn't performed very well the last 10 years and because the fund charge was much higher than the funds I selected for myself.

My default portfolio fund was also medium risk so by me choosing my own higher risk and lower risk more diverse selection of funds I am essentially matching that risk level with less charges and hopefully much better performance.
  • davieg11
    Options
    Why not keep 50% where it is and split the other 50% between Lindsell Train Global Equity and Fundsmith Equity every month instead and see how it goes.
  • Caravan_of_Love
    Options
    Smoothape wrote: »
    It's kind of silly to move from a portfolio fund into just a couple of equity funds. If you're going to manage the funds yourself you'll probably want to spread out the investment types a bit more.

I'm the same age as you and in a couple of higher risk equity funds because I feel I can take that risk but also in some lower risk mixed funds and some FTSE funds. (I'm not rich enough to stash away and go ultra low risk into glts and bonds and slowly lose money).

I moved out of my default portfolio fund mainly because it hasn't performed very well the last 10 years and because the fund charge was much higher than the funds I selected for myself.

My default portfolio fund was also medium risk so by me choosing my own higher risk and lower risk more diverse selection of funds I am essentially matching that risk level with less charges and hopefully much better performance.

Cheers. So you would go a few high equity and some mixed funds?

Could you provide an example if you do not mind.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure