PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Had a couple of spends yesterday, £11.05 in Ald!, and £13.67 in Tosco.
    Currently at £124.85/£400, think I'm going to have to do some baking as I usually spend a far bit on snacks for the kids.
    I've got oats and golden syrup that needs using so will try a batch of flapjacks. Anyone got any tips as they seem to soggy after the allocated time so I cook for longer and then they go dry.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • ceb1995
    ceb1995 Posts: 388 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Spent £1.77 on milk and yellow sticker muffins so now on £39.58/£190 . It's really feeling like we might achieve the budget this month.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £11 spent today; horror of all horrors, £1 of that was on two tins of chopped tomatoes! I normally buy them by the tray of 12 tins, and bought two of those not long before Christmas. Found one tray empty tonight so went to the cupboard where the other was stashed - which was also empty! Oh, the perils of having 2 independent young pescatarian girls in the house... I feel a trip to L!dls coming on.

Otherwise, it was a top-up of (decent) bread, noodles, bananas, and one or two curry-related items to treat DS2, who was a bit down-in-the-dumps. I don't normally buy naans, but make them, and grill poppadums from a packet from the health-food stall at the market (still delicious, not as fatty) but he adores Pa£aks naans & fried poppadums so I bought some. And I always buy extra noodles when there's space to carry them; the girls will cook them up with stock, bendy veg & home-laid eggs for a quick nutritious lunch when there's no veggie soup pre-made, so we go through quite a lot of them.

An unexpected trip to L!dls threatens budgetary mayhem... I may try to pop in on my way home from my mother's tomorrow, so that I don't have any pressure to buy things we just don't need from "helpful" offspring...
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,695 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Daughter has asked if her friend can come for dinner on Saturday, she has two children and rarely gets out, she is on her own and money is tight so it's a night out for her.

My husband has also asked his parents to Sunday dinner.

So my budget is under threat, I would usually just get some extras in but I think I will do fajitas on Saturday as I had planned and add in some wedges and tortillas and dips.

Sunday I will do 2 beef joints they are only small, but was looking to have some left for lunches Monday and Tuesday.
    Dessert will be made up from the meringues left from Christmas and made into Eton mess or I do have leftover Christmas puddings.

I will stay out of the shops!
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 January 2018 at 1:53AM
    Options
    £20.24 today on mainly work food. Drop the butty van purchases or as OH wanted to do today grabbed £20 from my purse and was going to do McDonald’s. Not a hope mate. Got fruit yoghurt and cereal to do my oats at work as only had coco pops and Frosties in. More frozen peppers and onions (less waste / ease) some mushrooms & stuff for HRHs sandwiches etc. Slimming world is not easy on a tight budget! Dogs have raided a cupboard which annoyed me greatly so less in now
    Anyway .... that’s me for today :)

Away Thursday to Sunday at an event already budgeted for. I have no idea how we’ll get to the end of the month
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • emiai
    emiai Posts: 1,253 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had planned a trip to a supermarket today, but ended up getting a blister half way to the school so ended up popping into the local coop for bread and potatoes.

Glad I did actually as they had the usual cereal my husband likes marked down to clear at half the price, and the potatoes were YS as well.

Going to pop back there before I pick up the children to see if they reduce bits again, also forgot carrots :(
    Wishing you all good luck!
    Oldstyle moneysaving addict
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    YorksLass wrote: »
    Soup made this morning - it's just the job for a cold winter's day, easy peasy and cheap as well. :)

I used half a large chopped onion, 3 large diced carrots, 400g tin of chickpeas, 1.5pt chicken stock (from a stock cube), assorted spices/herbs (curry powder, cumin, chilli powder, dried coriander, S & P) and a generous splodge of tomato puree. Blitzed up, these quantities made enough for 4 portions; half for this lunchtime and the other half will do for another day. It's a keeper. :):)

The planned ham, pepper & chorizo pasta bake for tonight made double quantities so half has gone in the freezer as a hm ready-meal for the CBA days. No wonder the freezer drawers never seem to empty! :D

The soup sounds lovely, YorksLass :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • Grannymolly
    Options
    Morning everyone! It’s lovely but cold today!

Got DD off Nursery today so we’ve been playing and now I’m just making some leek and potato soup after a bike ride :)

Hubby picked up some bits from Mr M, £10.61 to add to the budget but we’re good for cat food for another 10 days and milk and bread and meals until Tuesday and then that’s another planned £36 Shop.

Dinner tonight is chicken pasta.
    Family of 4 and a cat, trying to reduce outgoings GC JAN £225.94/£250 GC FEB £93.20/£250
  • trifle-wist
    Options
    I'm terribly late but please may I join? Aiming for £120 for two of us, to include all toiletries, food, and drink for the month. Eating out comes from a separate budget. The month runs 1-31 Jan.

1-7 we spent a total of £30.48 so slightly over budget.
    8 was a NSD, and 9 should have been too but OH decided he HAD to have yoghurt at 9pm last night so went and spent £1.80 on that, plus another £2.20 on frozen fruit. So frustrating!

So far a total of £34.48/£120, leaving £85.52 for the remainder of the month. I'm not particularly hopeful :(

Off to the shops today for a few bits for the rest of the week. We need to defrost the freezer this weekend, so emptying that should help out a little. Meal plan is as follows:
    Weds - veggie meatballs with mash and parsley sauce
    Thurs - egg fried rice/stir fry. Pumpkin pie for dessert
    Fri - homemade pizzas
    Sat - loaf of homemade bread for breakfasts / lunch. Dinner undecided
    Sun - bread for breakfast. Out for afternoon tea at 3pm so snacks should do us before/after then
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Spent £7.03 on a few bits. Not really wanting to spend any more, as I do have lots of stores and veggies in fridge that needs to be batch cooked n frozen. Will make some coleslaw, soups and stews/curries. Gonna try n stay away from the shops until Monday. Have updated sig.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure