PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    We discovered Bluebird Tea Co. yesterday so have signed up for their monthly tea club @ £9.95 per month. Youngest enjoys her tea more than I do, as I prefer coffee but she is on a mission to reduce the amount I drink :rotfl: Will deduct the subscription from the grocery budget as tea would be included if we bought it from the shop :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • Aereon
    Aereon Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    First ever post on this forum! This year I want to be way more aware of my spending habits so I can begin expanding my nest egg at a faster rate, and I have been lurking for a while :) Please may I be put down for £125 for January as it's a long month and I'm aiming for £25 a week for one person.

So far this month I've done my first January shop and after a very decisive hour in my local S4nsburs and have spent £24.60 :p next time I think I'll split my shop between them and 4ldi as it works out a lot more cost effective, just a shame about the distance!
    January 2018 GC - Spent as of 29/01/18 : £98.50 / £125
    February 2018 GC - Spent as of 28/02/18 : £117.20 / £125
    July 2020 GC - Spent as of 29/07/20 : £229.36 / £250

First met 27/03/2014 Moved in together 01/10/2018 Bought & Moved into our house 01/11/2019
  • Faete
    Faete Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    I'd like to join with a £300 budget this month.

I did a shop yesterday £17.17 at Aldi and £15.17 at Asda - these were quite small as I still have a well stocked freezer from Christmas! :rotfl:

Fae xx
    “Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde :p
    January Grocery Challenge - £189.44/£300.00 :D
    Save
    Save
  • Highland_Fling
    Options
    Good morning everyone
    a couple of people have mentioned Jack Monroe in their posts.
    Can someone tell me who he is and how he is associated with GC?
    Thank you:)
  • Esthermate
    Options
    Jack wrote a book, 'A Girl called Jack', about living on £10 a week.
  • Faete
    Faete Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    Jack Monroe's site:-
    https://cookingonabootstrap.com/
    They have some fantastic, easy to cook, inexpensive recipes. :j

Fae xx
    “Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde :p
    January Grocery Challenge - £189.44/£300.00 :D
    Save
    Save
  • 2018saver
    Options
    £41.24 spent on the big weekly shop this morning. Hoping to make it through as much of the week as possible before going back!
    118.32/300
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Brought back stuff from caravan, did eat out yesterday but out of necessity as we were out the full day and used festive money so going to leave it off my target .... cheating ? Maybe. Away Thursday night to Saturday work paying so won’t be including that either
    I have found loads of dishwasher tablets I don’t need to buy any this month at all
    Hoping for an under £10 day if not a NSD but I’m tasked with making the work meals for the week, not sure what we’ve got in or I’ll need. Sorting under stairs and kitchen storage today might try to do an inventory but unsure on what time I have
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    Anniee88 wrote: »
    I spent £21.49 in Sainsbury’s this morning. I have enough food in the house from shopping in December (spent way too much) to last until at least Sunday. We are making our own curry and skipping the take away this Saturday. Used up the soup for our lunches today too even though I didn’t really feel like eating it, I want to reduce the waste.

Making roast dinner tonight, going to use all of the potatoes or they’ll get thrown out, any good ideas what I can do with half of them to make and freeze for another meal.

Mash, hash brown or bubble and squeak?

I've spent £0.40p at work on Saturday on two packets of YS egg fried rice to go with curry. Also spent £8.47 in Morrisons incl six YS ping meals and a YS roast type dish. (These are for my 19 year old, who is run ragged with a baby and not looking after herself. So this will ensure she eats at least something). I also managed to get YS lemons, wonky avocados (which I only ever see online), naan (which they always sell out of), and Quorn sandwich meat for DD2 for school on Monday (which is what I actually went in for).

Although my allocated spend of £62 a week is definitely over this week, as long as the rough end monthly total comes to what it should do, then I am happy with that :)
    I have Sainsburys being delivered on Wednesday, but it is mostly toiletries which I am not including, just food! So, I should manage to break even.Once and if I ever manage to get the food spend to an absolute minimum then I can gradually concentrate on toiletries. I don't think i'll ever crack pet food though:cool:
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Highland_Fling
    Options
    thank you very much to Faete and Esthermate for info. I will explore:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure