Haricot Beans

Does anyone know where I can buy dry haricot beans that are not from China? I don't mind buying in bulk up to 30kg. The haricot beans from Whole Foods and Real Foods Ltd are all from China. I've been to my local Asda but they don't sell dry Haricot beans.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Why not Chinese?
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Hodmedods use British beans and pulses
  • Starchy
    Starchy Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    z1a wrote: »
    Why not Chinese?
    Chinese vegetables are fine, but produce from China isn't. Too many issues with produce grown in China. (e.g. heavy metals, pesticides, fungi, bacteria etc.)
    tori.k wrote: »
    Hodmedods use British beans and pulses
    They don't have white haricot beans, unfortunately.
  • stoozie1
    stoozie1 Posts: 656 Forumite
    Would rinsing the sauce off cooked, canned ones work for you?

It works out as cheaper than dried, and asda state the UK as the country of origin.
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    calais :) lol

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Starchy wrote: »
    Chinese vegetables are fine, but produce from China isn't. Too many issues with produce grown in China. (e.g. heavy metals, pesticides, fungi, bacteria etc.)
    I'm amazed that imports would be allowed here if that were the case.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Starchy
    stoozie1 wrote: »
    Would rinsing the sauce off cooked, canned ones work for you?

It works out as cheaper than dried, and asda state the UK as the country of origin.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I only want dry ones. That aside, as long as it's canned and cooked in the UK, it can be sold as a product of the UK. Haricot beans from China may have still been used.
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I'm amazed that imports would be allowed here if that were the case.
    My personal preference is based on countless experiences where I have bought contaminated produce from China. I just don't trust food from China anymore. There are articles on the internet with regards to contaminated vegetables in China, although the examples given may be different from my experiences.
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Biggest problem is that they are not Hardy enough to be grown in the UK, you may be able to import from the US as Navy beans.but it mostly across Asia they are produced
    The easiest option would just use another white bean as a substitute to haricot beans, white broad beans or kidney beans would do the same job, it's much of a muchness really with texture and taste
  • Starchy
    I wouldn't mind buying Haricot beans from the US, but it seems that they're unpopular with major retailers here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure