At the library... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Options
124»

Comments

• joebloggs69
    Options
    Martin & team,

Can you PLEASE remove this suggestion.

Not only is it stupid, for all the reasons listed above, but libraries are currently having their budgets slashed along with many other council departments, which means people are being made redundant.

On top of this Mr Cameron's push for a 'big society' means that people on the way out are having to interview volunteers who are now going to be doing the job for nothing (and poorly, I might add), which I frankly consider no better than blacklegging. The last thing they need is for silly people to wander in off the street enquiring as to whether they have any nice quite jobs available, only not on x, y, z day of the week because "I've got to look after my daughter's poodle on those days".

Incidentally, I'd like to see anyone working in a library to try and follow your advice on asking for a pay rise - public sector pay, which is already far below the private sector equivalents, has been frozen for the last two years.

And why pick on libraries in a section on extra income? Why not join the fire service, or become a teacher, or drive a lorry? I mean IT'S A JOB, and not only a job but a profession - and I consider even being 'just' a non-qualified library assistant to be a profession, you can't just turn up and stack shelves, a lack of resources/staff/decent leadership along with immense demand and pressure means that you've really got to apply yourself - and still be insulted by the public.

Having it listed here is insulting, insensitive at this particular time, and shows a complete lack of understanding about a service that does far more than most to help people who have no money, but is constantly exploited by people who are not doing bad for themselves but still want something (everything) for nothing - which to be perfectly honest I see a lot of on these forums. (Middle class mums 'complaining' so that they can get money off vouchers anyone? We get a lot of that kind of thing in libraries)

That is why the people above and myself are so angry. We are fed up with offering, quite frankly, and amazing service to the public, and being thought of as a joke, a soft touch or an easy option.
  • Pie
    Pie Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Hear, hear JoeBloggs69 - you sum up my feelings exactly!

Martin and the MSE team -I second the call for this suggestion to be removed from the 'boost your income' guide. It's an insult to our profession - even the library assistants in my workplace are all qualified to at least degree level, and jobs are hugely over-subscribed - and I am sick to death of daft students and bored mums asking for a part-time job because "it looks nice here".

Love Your Libraries - they're moneysaving! :T

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport