We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

First time buyer (joint) - slightly dubious credit history

Evening MSEers,

Keen to pick your brains. I'm doing a bit of research too, but though some of you may have some useful information

I was to buy a first house with my better half, she's bought before (though now sold), I've not. Her credit history's excellent, mine's not. A 3 year old CCJ and a 4 year old default.. Though the latter I'm applying to set aside, probably 50-50 chance of success according to my solicitor friend.

So, speaking to a few brokers, it appears we can get a mortgage which will be at a slightly higher rate. I accept that and will pay the extra £100 or so a month that will incur. Our joint salaries are c.£100k and no debt to speak of. Deposit wise, could get £40k or so together.

I'm told the help to buy scheme for new builds may be a good option given the deposit will be lower, but in terms of getting those mortgages which I believe are quite specialized, is my bad credit likely to preclude me from those versus a lender who accepts so so credit history? Plus without the CCJ, will a single default be considerably less problematic?

Comments

  • YHM
    YHM Posts: 650 Forumite
    The default on its own would be less problematic, but nothing that a good broker shouldn't be able to handle
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.