Sell parking spaces... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Options

Comments

• StevenDr
    Options
    Apologies for the pun. Couldn't resist.

Has anyone tried to use Parkatmyhouse recently? I tried to list my car park space last week and the website wouldn't let me register my space. Any help appreciated.
  • JumboJim_2
    Options
    @Elen - I'm pretty sure you can list office and commercial space as well as residential.
    @StevenDr - Site seems to be working - have you emailed their support team?
  • StevenDr
    Options
    @JumboJim. Thanks. Seems to be working now. I've listed my parking space.
  • clairebarcelona
    Options
    I am registered with ParkAtMyDrive.com and have just received an email to say that I have received a booking request for my drive but before I can look at it I have to pay the £10 annual fee. Does anyone know if this is a scam? I can't see what the details (if any) are of the booking request so it all sounds a bit fishy! Many thanks all x
  • A tenant in our block is illegally renting out our allocated parking space (we were away), claiming it is communal (which is surely still illegal if he has not obtained the consent of the block, his landlord and the management company). We are currently in discussion with the management company to see what can be done.
    Meanwhile the woman he has rented the space to is horrified and is going to the Police to report him for fraud.
    Perhaps MoneySavingExpert should add this to your list of dangers when renting out a space. Ensure it is YOUR space to rent out and not a communal or allocated residential space, particularly if you live in a block of flats, where parking is not always clear-cut compared to someone with their own private driveway.
    Renters also ensure that the space belongs the the person you are renting from as he could well be hijacking a neighbour's parking space whilst they are on holiday.
  • lks218
    lks218 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I am renting a property with 3 others and as part of our rental we have use of a garage at the end of our street. None of us have a car so we are thinking about the possibility of renting it out.
    My concern, however, is whether/how it would be legal for us to do this as we are renting but don't own the garage. Would we simply need written agreement from our landlady which would allow us to rent the garage out?
    Our tenancy agreement doesn't specifically refer to the garage, but I think the general clause about sub-letting the property would still apply (i.e. that we need the landlady's written permission to sublet). Or can we do what we like with the garage while we are renting it if there are no specific terms about it in the contract?
    I'd appreciate anyone's comments.
    Thanks x
  • spidystrider
    spidystrider Posts: 1,246 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have just came across this thread. I've been using parkatmyhouse since the end of last year, with no problems at all. Unfortunately a neighbour has contacted the local council and complained about us renting out spaces in our driveway. We have been told to stop. If we wish to carry on, we have to get planning permission for change of use for our driveway. It seems that our local council is one of the very rare ones that are completely against this. :mad:
    Mortgage Free in 3-T2 : Started at £151,000 Nov. 2009 Mortgage Free Oct 1st 2015 :)
  • paulw1972
    Options
    Why do you have to pay income tax on renting a space on your drive when you can rent out a bedroom tax free (providing you don't go over the threshold)?
  • Not a lot of interest in this, despite it reaching the weekly MSE email.

Do any genuine MSE users (i.e. not people making their first ever post) use any of these schemes, and if so, how successful has it been for you?

Any tips / techniques for bringing interest to your advert and selling your parking space?
  • Rambleygirl
    Options
    I considered doing this last year, but when I phoned my home insurance company they said that if I rented out part of my driveway that would invalidate my insurance. There was no option to pay an additional premium. Has anyone else had this problem? And does anyone know of any home insurance companies who are happy for people to rent their spaces out?

Thanks.

:-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family