Spot & flog from car boot/jumble sales... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Options
13»

Comments

• paidinchickens
    paidinchickens Posts: 1,468 Forumite
    Options
    would you have to open a business account and how much can you earn before the tax man starts to take money off you?
  • mrkidd85
    mrkidd85 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Options
    I always tried to start going to car boots and finding things to sell. Shame is, I never could.

I once picked up a rave CD worth for 50p and it was worth £17 on Amazin, but I didn't want to sell it.

Another good way is (if you have an eye for that kind of thing) have a look around charity shops for old books that you think are worth some good money. I picked up a book for £3 that Amazon said was worth £60. Still haven't sold it though.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    would you have to open a business account and how much can you earn before the tax man starts to take money off you?

You need to declare all business income but whether or not you pay tax depends on whether you have unused tax allowances available to offset profit.

As soon as you buy to sell on you are a business and need a business account on ebay.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ALittleInLove
    Options
    I see that this thread has more or less died but i thought i'd ask anyway!

With ebay becoming even more popular, postage prices continuing to increase and an increase in fraudster buyers, do you guys still see ebay as a viable option or just a hobby now?

Also with a lot of books and DVDs selling for rock bottom prices, are there any particular unusual items that are still successful if bought cheaply enough?
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It is no longer viable to buy from bootsales or charity shops to resell on ebay. Most booters and charity shop staff use ebay to research the potential price of anything that looks valuable before selling it.

With eBay's ever-increasing fees I resurrected my old Ebid account and stuck on a load of Epson carts I had picked-up for a £2 donation to my local camera club. Have sold 50% of them so far, giving a profit of £15.

I used to wander round the local bootsale when I was out of work, but haven't been for a long time.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• amjustagirl
    Options
    patman99 wrote: »
    It is no longer viable to buy from bootsales or charity shops to resell on ebay. Most booters and charity shop staff use ebay to research the potential price of anything that looks valuable before selling it.

With eBay's ever-increasing fees I resurrected my old Ebid account and stuck on a load of Epson carts I had picked-up for a £2 donation to my local camera club. Have sold 50% of them so far, giving a profit of £15.

I used to wander round the local bootsale when I was out of work, but haven't been for a long time.

Hmm not strictly true i bought a Superdry hoodie for 30p from a jumble sale the other week and sold it for £20 on ebay :p
    Win's of 2014 so far-Maxfactor mascara, £50 Pizza Express Voucher, Dr Oetker Pizza, Nuby sippy cup :j:beer:
  • Dinosaur_Train
    Options
    I think it's still very much a viable option to buy from boot sales and sell on Ebay. Not too sure on charity shops, as their prices are pretty high these days.
  • Coopdivi
    Coopdivi Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    Options
    Salehoo.com is a work-from-home scam initially costing £56.
  • amjustagirl
    Options
    I think it's still very much a viable option to buy from boot sales and sell on Ebay. Not too sure on charity shops, as their prices are pretty high these days.

Definitely true but you need to know in your head at the time what sell's well and roughly what profit you can make and if it's worth your time and effort. Plenty of research and a good memory required! Cheap charity shop's i personally find hard to come by.
    Win's of 2014 so far-Maxfactor mascara, £50 Pizza Express Voucher, Dr Oetker Pizza, Nuby sippy cup :j:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure