We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Where do I stand...cahoot AGAIN!

phildamb
phildamb Posts: 194 Forumite
Hi All,

Once again Im having problems with Cahoot. I called up last week and asked for a settlement figure on my flexible loan. I then paid this settlement figure which they received by friday last week. I then tried to close the account but their online banking wouldnt allow me despite showing a zero debt. I called them today only to be told I still owe them £15 in interest despite paying the settlement figure off that I was given. I have already cancelled the direct debit as I dont trust them to not carry on trying to take payments from my account. I have done everything they asked me to do in order pay off the loan amount but now they wish to investigate the matter before allowing me to close the acount. So this comes to a point of where do I actually stand on my rights, they claim part of the investigation is to go off and listen to the call and find out what I was advised to do, apart from the fact that I have serious doubts that they have the ability to record every call made into their call centre, I also doub the fact that they will allow me to close to the account. So what can I do??

Comments

  • Cahoot are a complete shower. I have only just (today) got my credit rating restored after repaying my loan 18months early by cheque.
    It took 3 months to be credited to my account which made it look like I was 3 months in arrears.

    I have called them constantly since July to get my credit rating amended.

    I wouldnt recommend anyone to use them
  • I'm in the last few months of a Cahoot loan and it's been a nightmare from start to finish. I can't even get onto the website because no one has ever called me to confirm my security arrangements. As a result, I've never been able to use their internet service. When I've changed jobs and asked if they can amend the date of my direct debit the answer has always been 'no' which has led to more payments missed. Luckily I'm in my last £1K of the original loan as I can't wait to see the back of it.
    Almost debt-free, but certainly even with the Banks!
  • phildamb wrote: »
    Hi All,

    Once again Im having problems with Cahoot. I called up last week and asked for a settlement figure on my flexible loan. I then paid this settlement figure which they received by friday last week. I then tried to close the account but their online banking wouldnt allow me despite showing a zero debt. I called them today only to be told I still owe them £15 in interest despite paying the settlement figure off that I was given. I have already cancelled the direct debit as I dont trust them to not carry on trying to take payments from my account. I have done everything they asked me to do in order pay off the loan amount but now they wish to investigate the matter before allowing me to close the acount. So this comes to a point of where do I actually stand on my rights, they claim part of the investigation is to go off and listen to the call and find out what I was advised to do, apart from the fact that I have serious doubts that they have the ability to record every call made into their call centre, I also doub the fact that they will allow me to close to the account. So what can I do??

    I had this problem recently, was quoted a settlement figure £100 higher than balance, paid it off immediately (took 4 days by BACS) but was then told there was actually £55 outstanding still. I had to send this by payment, it then turned out there was a couple of pound further outstanding! It was like being in purgatory, I rang up.. went a bit bonkers and they wrote off any outstanding amount. I finally managed to close it this week and good riddance!
    Second and final LBM 01/01/11 Nearly got there but fell of wagon. HAVE to do it this time :mad:
  • phildamb
    phildamb Posts: 194 Forumite
    Well Im getting the same problem with their credit card to now. I phoned them again this morning they are arranging for the loan to be closed although they cant guarantee it as it takes 10 days to close and the balance may have changed by then!! Also they couldnt give me a definate figure for the payment to close the credit card as again they said "it may change". I have now written a letter to their complaints and given them a dead line of 29th october to reply (also submitted it by email and its by recorded delivery so will make it). My next step is the ombudsman as Im pretty sure they are meant to make it a little easier than this to clear a debt anything else could be interpreted as profiteering as they are still charging me interest on it.
  • phildamb
    phildamb Posts: 194 Forumite
    Ok I got a phone call back today from their complaints department (jaspal) and they are just as bad as the customer service side. Zero interest in maintaining a happy relationship with their customers and do not seem to be able to do anything useful with their systems. Rather annoying that he had to keep going off to ask someone permission to do things and refused initially send me anything in writing about what they had done to attempt to resolve my complaint ( I want a paper trail for the ombudsman to follow).
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.