An energy efficient kettle for less than £50.

Options
The title says it all. I am sick of seeing the bar fly up on our display when the kettle is on. Can anyone recommend a kettle? I tried looking on the usual retailer sites like currys, argos etc but they dont say what the energy ratings are.

Comments

• dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 15 December 2017 at 8:02PM
    Options
    The title says it all. I am sick of seeing the bar fly up on our display when the kettle is on. Can anyone recommend a kettle? I tried looking on the usual retailer sites like currys, argos etc but they dont say what the energy ratings are.
    Short "best of" energy efficient kettles
    http://www.besthomekitchenstuff.co.uk/top-5-best-energy-efficient-eco-kettles-uk-quick-reviews/

BTW - I do not think kettles have standard energy rating lables that are used for larger appliances
  • BargainGalore
    Options
    All electric is 100% efficient. if you get a 3kWh kettle and fill it with water say 1.3 litres for argument sake it could take 2 minutes to boil. iff you do same with 2 kWh kettle it would take longer to boil and take 3 minutes and 1 kWh kettle 4 minutes etc

Any kettle you like will do just fill enough water for what you want and no more
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,524 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    All electric is 100% efficient. if you get a 3kWh kettle and fill it with water say 1.3 litres for argument sake it could take 2 minutes to boil. iff you do same with 2 kWh kettle it would take longer to boil and take 3 minutes and 1 kWh kettle 4 minutes etc

Any kettle you like will do just fill enough water for what you want and no more

Exactly this.

Cheaper alternative is a hob kettle, but only if you have a gas cooker as gas is much cheaper than electricity.
  • dlusman
    Options

Not necessarily - Some kettles may be more insulated , so lose less heat

Also some kettles will have a smaller "minimum amount" depending on how the element is positioned
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dlusman wrote: »

Also some kettles will have a smaller "minimum amount" depending on how the element is positioned

Difference is absolutely minimal in terms of 'insulation' - not worth worrying about.

Completely agree about 'minimum amount' but the far more important determinant is ensuring that not only do you pick a kettle which a very small minimum, you only use that amount if it's all you need!
  • Tiexen
    Tiexen Posts: 724 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Buy a one cup kettle:

The Breville Hot Cup will deliver you one cup of boiling water in less than 60 seconds! The Hot Cup is used just like a normal kettle, but by only boiling enough water for the number of cups you need, the Hot Cup is economical and energy efficient.
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Arent some designed to perform more efficiently than others by drawing less power.
  • donnajunkie
    Options

Our main desire is for one to use less power for the same amount of water. Not really bothered how long it takes to boil so long as it uses less power.
  • dlusman
    Options
    Our main desire is for one to use less power for the same amount of water. Not really bothered how long it takes to boil so long as it uses less power.

That is not possible - see other responses
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    That is not possible - see other responses

So there is no point in replacing the current cheapo asda brand kettle?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure