PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Home made lasagne

Options
Just wondering if home made lasagne is healthy? I've started making my own but I've heard that its still not a healthy dish.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    its healthy enough as long as you cook and drain the mince of the the fat that comes out when its cooked.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,808 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Seems healthy enough to me if you're making the sauces from scratch as well and not using jars. No preservatives, additives or E numbers. No extra sugar or silly amounts of salt. Chuck in lots of veg towards your 5 a day. Buy good quality mince and drain it if you're concerned about the fat content.
    And you can cook twice as much and freeze it if you want a quick dinner another night.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Citygirl1
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    Seems healthy enough to me if you're making the sauces from scratch as well and not using jars. No preservatives, additives or E numbers. No extra sugar or silly amounts of salt. Chuck in lots of veg towards your 5 a day. Buy good quality mince and drain it if you're concerned about the fat content.
    And you can cook twice as much and freeze it if you want a quick dinner another night.

I use low fat mince but do use jars of lasagne sauce, on the jar is states there isn't much fat, sugar or salt in it.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,808 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you've checked the sauce contents and you're happy with it, that's fine. I'm just less keen on the taste than with the full DIY job.
    But you've got a meal with a balance of protein, carbs, veg, so what's unhealthy about it? Especially if you chuck a bit of salad on the side.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 December 2017 at 10:34PM
    Options
    Really depends on who's point of view you take.

In terms of carbs, it's not the lowest - pasta, white sauce, if you have garlic bread on the side..

Sauce, cheesy, fats in mince..so depends on your view on fat as a good or bad thing.

Red meat..some people feel it's not good to eat a lot of it.

Ready-made sauces full of sugar, a homemade sauce will be healthier. It's not too complicated either - a jar of passata (you can even get garlic/herb passatas), onion, I add a little sugar but no way near as much as a jar. Garlic and some Italian herbs, if I've used a plain passata. White sauce is just butter, flour and milk, with a little salt and pepper.

My view, carbs, fats and red meats are good in moderation. I'd happily eat lasagne once or twice a month, but generally I don't eat a whole lot of pasta as I'm try to eat less processed foods. If you wanted to make it a little healthier, you could take a clean eating twist - e.g. swap out lasagne sheets for courgette or butternut squash.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I make a mean veggie lasagne. It’s still not healthy, purely because of the amount of cheese that gets added to the sauce :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Citygirl1
    Options
    Thanks all, just to add I always thought pasta was healthy.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    There are very few foods that are intrinsically 'unhealthy' or completely 'healthy'. It's not really a very helpful way to think of food.
    We all need a balanced diet. The point about home made food is that we know what goes into it. Personally I make my own pasta (not difficult, and freezes well) and I don't add cheese.
    Lasagne with plenty of vegetables, no unnecessary fat and with some salad on the side, for a main meal seems quite balanced to me, but you must look at it in the light of what else you eat in general.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    It's no worse than any other dish that includes red meat, veggies and carbohydrate.

I wouldn't bother with the jars of sauces - a tin of tomatoes costs pennies, just added some herbs and a few others veggies to it.

If you think there's too much cheese, don't put it in the sauce (trust me, no-one will notice), just sprinkle a bit over the top.

And you can make the pasta slightly healthier by opting for the wholewheat variety.

Portion control is worth thinking about.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Mr_Singleton
    Options
    Judi wrote: »
    its healthy enough as long as you cook and drain the mince of the the fat that comes out when its cooked.

I've got a really mean relative that buys the cheapest cheapest mince they can find. Things is that they and up deep frying it as it renders so much fat. It's lost on them that by the time that's factored in the mince ain't that cheap!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure