PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

No Magic Money Tree....

Options

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello again everyone

Not posted in a while as an enforced break stopped me ;)

I remember saying I just wanted a diagnosis, I've finally got one

Peripheral Neuropathy

I've had to give up cooking as a living and things like opening a packet or doing buttons or even holding a pen are beyond me now. But I've found work I can do so even if I'm in complete agony most of the day I still have some resemblance of a normal life

I'm now waiting for my GP to refer me to a physio and a neurologist, but that's taking an age ( can't get an appointment unless you ring on the day and that day may not be the day the GP you want to see is working ). Frustrating but funnily enough I feel less of a waste of space knowing I do actually have a recognised condition

DH doesn't really understand what's happening with me but he's good with getting my tablets out of a blister pack ( totally beyond me) and doing my buttons and shoe laces. He just doesn't get that and contact on my skin feels like electric shocks and I have no control of body temp ( I'm still in tee shirts at minus 6 )
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,168 Forumite
    Options
    I'm glad you've got a diagnosis Suki. Re. the skin contact, I had something similar as a symptom of a different problem years ago - my sympathetic nervous system went into overdrive and I could feel people before they touched me and being touched hurt - and my physio stuck me in the hydrotherapy pool (after all they couldn't touch me). It worked - water calmed things down. So it might be worth seeing if it helps you. Even a warm bath might work. And if you try a pool, I'd recommend a nice warm hydrotherapy one, but given that your temperature regulation is just a bit off you might be able to get away with a nice dip in the sea ;)

I hope your referrals come through soon. As you say, it's nice to know what's wrong, so hopefully that's removed some of the stress.
  • suki1964
    Options
    Katieowl wrote: »
    Well some progress today. I bought the drying rack in and all my tea towels are drying in front of the Rayburn. : :D :

We had to bite the bullet and order more oil, because we won't get it before Xmas otherwise and it would be awful if we ran out, so got the minimum ordered, 500L but have discovered that you can buy it at the garages (I didn't know that) and have been offered 4 X 25 L containers. So NEXT time if we don't have a cash surplus we can just get enough to tide us over. That's good isn't it?

Not really as it can be as much as 20p a litre dearer :(

Seriously I would start selling every thing I could to buy an oil boiler. I'm sure ours wasn't that expensive when we replaced it
  • suki1964
    Options
    Omg.

Just realised I posted this on the wrong thread

I'm so sorry Katie , I'd delete it but the post has been aknowledged

Do please forgive me
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 14 December 2017 at 8:02AM
    Options
    I like your thinking, I could just keep very quiet that I tried to learn for three years and it fried my brain LOL :D

I tried to learn it for a while - but then realised how people are being pressurised into learning it and gave up (as I sympathise with people having added difficulties imposed on them in getting jobs).

I did look up how long it takes to learn other languages for an English speaker (ie those that are most similar to our own would be easier obviously). For us - the figures were around 500 hours to learn something like French or Italian and around 1,000 hours to learn Welsh. Just done very rough calculation of, say, 2 hours per day at it for 300 days a year = around 2 years to learn it if one was learning it willingly. Learning it unwillingly - and therefore doing "something else instead" you wanted to do this day and "then something else instead" that day and so on and it would take a lot longer.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 14 December 2017 at 7:24AM
    Options
    Even a lot of the care jobs want Welsh speakers, which I understand, a lot of the older people want to speak Welsh.

I've been told that sometimes (if an older person gets dementia) and they started out only speaking Welsh in their earlier years that they forget their English (because it's the language they learnt later on) and that is sometimes why someone that can speak English doesnt (ie because they've forgotten it because of dementia).

But I don't know about them "wanting" to speak Welsh. I would have thought their priority would be to have a good caring person first and then speak the language they "want" to speak with them second? I can certainly think of someone I know that very strongly "wants" to speak Welsh - but they have a carer that doesnt speak it and they converse in English together. They clearly want to make sure they keep this particular carer - as they obviously prefer them - despite not having their "language of choice".

I've heard of a lot of carers not speaking Welsh.
  • Katieowl
    Katieowl Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've been told that sometimes (if an older person gets dementia) and they started out only speaking Welsh in their earlier years that they forget their English (because it's the language they learnt later on) and that is sometimes why someone that can speak English doesnt (ie because they've forgotten it because of dementia).

But I don't know about them "wanting" to speak Welsh. I would have thought their priority would be to have a good caring person first and then speak the language they "want" to speak with them second? I can certainly think of someone I know that very strongly "wants" to speak Welsh - but they have a carer that doesnt speak it and they converse in English together. They clearly want to make sure they keep this particular carer - as they obviously prefer them - despite not having their "language of choice".

I've heard of a lot of carers not speaking Welsh.

Yes, reverting to your first language is common in dementia I believe. The carer thing is all a bit academic for me though, I don't think I would be much use to anyone who needed any real help.

I have done that previously, and although I enjoyed it, I can't even do my own hoovering now, I get my DD to do it once a week. I could get someone dinner though? Worth a think!
  • Katieowl
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Omg.

Just realised I posted this on the wrong thread

I'm so sorry Katie , I'd delete it but the post has been aknowledged

Do please forgive me

LOL don't worry! I did that the other day on FB !!!:rotfl:
  • Katieowl
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Not really as it can be as much as 20p a litre dearer :(

Seriously I would start selling every thing I could to buy an oil boiler. I'm sure ours wasn't that expensive when we replaced it

Not just a boiler though, the whole system would need put in..:(

It didn't look like the prices were that much more at the garages, the person who told me appears to only be paying a couple of pence more, I will ask around. Hoping it wouldn't come to it, but it could get us out of a fix.
  • Katieowl
    Options

I did look up how long it takes to learn other languages for an English speaker (ie those that are most similar to our own would be easier obviously). For us - the figures were around 500 hours to learn something like French or Italian and around 1,000 hours to learn Welsh. Just done very rough calculation of, say, 2 hours per day at it for 300 days a year = around 2 years to learn it if one was learning it willingly. Learning it unwillingly - and therefore doing "something else instead" you wanted to do this day and "then something else instead" that day and so on and it would take a lot longer.

Hmm, well I got to the point where I was dreading going into the class, and really resenting the home work, and I thought this is pointless why are you doing this to yourself? Our teacher was a nice man, but one of the other students was a fluent French speaker and he kept saying to her that something was like this was in French, and there are a lot of very similar words to French in Welsh and I found it enormously confusing (I hated french at school too) and it just made foreign language soup in my head, to the point it ressurected my lingering French and I wasn't sure which was which :(

When my neighbor in the market makes small talk to her customers though, I generally get the gist of what they are talking about.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure