RMT Wage Dispute....confusion!

Good afternoon all,

I am currently employed by a major player in the rail industry – to date our statutory pay rises have been in a state of dispute with the RMT and last week an agreement was reached and back pay issued to all of those in the collective bargaining group…apart from me (although I was included in all correspondence and updates for the duration of 2017 to date)

I received a promotion in grade in 2016, rate of pay effective in 2017. The company are now saying that because this increase was greater than the agreement negotiated via the RMT they are not willing to supplement my wage with any back pay in line with the union agreement. I do not know the agreed union figure so for all I know my colleagues may now be on a wage in line with my own that I gained via a year of hard work, hence the promotion.

Does this seem right? I have approached my HR department and line manager and to date have not received a clear response.

Feedback from union members regardless of industry appreciated.

Cheers,

Eagles
“It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor.”

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Are you actually a member of the RMT? If so get them to fight your battle, if not then now you can see why it would be beneficial to join.
  • Not a member but becuase of the industry all disputes seem to be picked up by the trade union. I have requested a face to face with out HR rep and will argue the case.

Really not about money but I have served for a number of years and generally accepted anything that comes my way, however this time I feel a bit ripped off having worked hard to increase my grade for little reward, shall see what happens.
    “It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor.”
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Eagles1905 wrote: »
    Good afternoon all,

I am currently employed by a major player in the rail industry – to date our statutory pay rises have been in a state of dispute with the RMT and last week an agreement was reached and back pay issued to all of those in the collective bargaining group…apart from me (although I was included in all correspondence and updates for the duration of 2017 to date)

I received a promotion in grade in 2016, rate of pay effective in 2017. The company are now saying that because this increase was greater than the agreement negotiated via the RMT they are not willing to supplement my wage with any back pay in line with the union agreement. I do not know the agreed union figure so for all I know my colleagues may now be on a wage in line with my own that I gained via a year of hard work, hence the promotion.

Does this seem right? I have approached my HR department and line manager and to date have not received a clear response.

Feedback from union members regardless of industry appreciated.

Cheers,

Eagles

Are you not a union member?

Edit: just saw the reply. Unfortunately, whilst you may be right, you are going to have a tough time as the union wont really care about your case...
  • No, as mentioned above the dispute was picked up by the RMT irrispective of if you are a member or not (which tbh I always found odd!)

Edit: Thanks for your edit and reply! I know....still, feel a little hard done by! Not going to make a massive issue of it will just go through the motions to see if there is an agreeable outcome. I have a job and i'm grateful, it's just ever so slightly annoying!
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Eagles1905 wrote: »
    Not a member but becuase of the industry all disputes seem to be picked up by the trade union. I have requested a face to face with out HR rep and will argue the case.

Really not about money but I have served for a number of years and generally accepted anything that comes my way, however this time I feel a bit ripped off having worked hard to increase my grade for little reward, shall see what happens.
    So basically you are happy for your colleagues - the ones who don't deserve to get paid as much as you - to pick up all the union costs and fight your battles for you, and you'll just coast along on their shirt tails? Hah!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure