Getting prepared for a New Year.

Options
13»

Comments

• EscapingTheAlarm
    Options
    Congratulations on getting under the £20000 mark! That must be a huge milestone and I'm sure that it will make you even more determined!
    I'm very jealous that you had snow- especially if it saved you £20! I think we were one of the only places that didn't!
    ETA x
  • Jaydee92
    Options
    Oh, just thinking and I have spent money this weekend so not a NSD weekend after all. I ordered our food shop, but did come within the budget so could have been worse :cool:
    SPC 11 - Number 322
    2018 1% Challenge - Number 30

Debt: January 2016 - £29,524.74 :mad:
    January 2018 - £19,769.91
  • Jaydee92
    Options
    Thank you again ETA. You are right, it does make me feel more determined. Not wishing christmas away, but I am looking forward to the New Year to really being able to crack on with it all.
    One thing I've realised this weekend too is how much I spend on other people at Christmas (not including my DC & DH) these are all close family and friends but I did a rough count up and have spent nearly £300 on them all :eek: that shocked me, as I know none of them will mind in the slightest if I were to get them a cheaper gift or even none at all. Will be keeping this in mind for next year.

JD x
    SPC 11 - Number 322

• Jaydee92
    Options
    Evening,

Freezing cold here today, DC had a snow day but with hardly any snow! Nearly all gone but surrounding areas are very bad so not all teachers could make it in, so both schools closed. DS has another day off tomorrow too.
    Walked to town today to get DS new glasses, it was so cold out. Would of took him tomorrow if I had known school would be shut again as I have my eye appointment tomorrow. I am really hoping that my glasses will not cost more than what I have managed to save this year.
    Just stayed inside in the warm for the rest of the day, DD was happy to do some craft kits she got for her birthday. Managed not to spend any money, which is good. Budget is still on track and I've been making sure I write down everything.

Have a lovely evening

JD x
    SPC 11 - Number 322

• Jaydee92
    Options
    Good Afternoon,

An update on yesterday. I had my eye test and chose some new glasses :) and what I had saved this year covered the cost, actually had £35 spare. Will keep this by and continue to save for next time so I will be able to go on time, as this time I was nearly a year overdue!
    Yesterday evening I went out for a Christmas meal, it wasn't very nice and as I didn't eat much I still come home hungry. This meal had been paid for last month so did not come out of this months money, stuck to water so didn't spend any more money while I was there. But, this was one of our unbudgeted spends last month.
    I had work this morning, getting quiet there now in the run up to Christmas. Off to see DD in her nativity this afternoon, she is very excited. After school appointment today, will be 20p for parking but will not need to spend any more today. Usually walk but a bit cold out still and will be very dark by the time it's finished.

Have a lovely day

JD x
    SPC 11 - Number 322

• thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 December 2017 at 2:32PM
    Options
    Jaydee92 wrote: »
    Good morning,

Here goes....

Income -
    Wage 1 - £1640
    Wage 2 - £150
    Child Tax - £396.60
    Child Benefit - £137.60
    = £2324.20

Expenditure -
    Rent £558
    Council Tax £155
    Shopping £445 (£85 a week + £20 a month for toiletries) This seems high for 4, what is included in this? groceries can probably be done 300 a month or less depending on age of children, check the grocery boards for great tips
    DMP £210
    Petrol £100
    Gas/Elec £88
    Water £30.51
    Mobiles £26.50 (DH £13 MINE £8.50 DS £5)
    Car insurance £36.98
    Car Tax £23.62
    BT £21.37
    TV £37.37 (sky £25 including broadband. £12.37 TV License)
    Opticians/Dentist £20
    Clubs £14
    Prescriptions £10.40
    Contents insurance £9.76
    Hair cuts £10
    Emergencies £80 Do you really put this aside
    Savings £60 Do you really put this aside?
    Clothes £50 Do you really put this aside?
    Trips/Hobbies £30
    Work Petrol £40 Does this get reimbursed then?
    Prime £9.99
    DH £60 is this DH's pocket money (yours, kids'?)
    Christmas/Birthdays £120

= £2246.50

Leaving a surplus of £77.70

Hello, just a few comments above from me. Good luck on your journey
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • Jaydee92
    Options
    Good Evening thriftylass, many thanks for your comments. Will explain some of the things you bought up.

Shopping - This is based on this month having 5 Sundays as this is the day we always have our shopping delivered. £85 a week plus £20 a month for toiletries. I have been trying to get this down. DS is a teenager who eats more than I do. This includes lunch boxes for both DC and DH. Next month will be £360.

Emergencies - Unfortunately, only occasionally. We have managed to save it some months but other months it has had to be used, but also sometimes wasted :(

Savings - Again, only occasionally :(

Clothes - DS is growing in rapid time so usually have to get him something every other month or so. I do save it to buy school uniforms etc.

Work Petrol - this is what DH pays to get a lift to work every day so not refundable.

DH - Yes, I suppose this is pocket money for DH. Just so he has some cash on him if he needs anything for work etc. He works hard and I don't begrudge him buying some extra food if need be, if he is working late. Or buying a cider for the weekend.

I would like to tell you what we waste our money on but nothing is obvious. Going to keep a close eye on it through next year to see where we are going so wrong. This month has been my first proper 100% really concentrating on the budget and we still have money in emergencies, savings and clothing, which I am happy about.

On another note. Super proud after DD nativity performance today :D her confidence since joining school has been truly amazing.
    SPC 11 - Number 322

• Jaydee92
    Options
    Good morning,

I haven't given up, just been very poorly _pale_ I haven't slept for days and everything aches, have been sick countless times because of coughing so much, hoping it will all have passed before next week. Have to check the bank but know extra money has been spent as DH popped the shops a few times for medicines etc and he took the DC out to give me some rest. When I feel better I will have to get on top of where we are. DD still in school until Friday, lots of Christmas activities to keep her hyped up.

Have a lovely day

JD x
    SPC 11 - Number 322

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income